Sharing project and then deleting original, what happens?

Abraham_Georges October 16, 2017

Hi guys,

I have 2 questions. First one is, if I create a new project based on another one (there is an option for that) and then if I delete the original project, does the last project created on the original get affected?

Also, how can I find out what type my current project is? I can not find that information anywhere.

2 answers

0 votes
Vijay Krishna Mane November 30, 2020

There is no upfront authentic information coming up from Atlassian stating which rules/automation etc is affected or not.

The feature and list of delete what happens should be clearly coming out and see majority of queries are left like from years without a proper closure.

Driven by community ?

0 votes
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2017

Hi Abraham

When you create a project using the the "shared configuration" option Jira will reuse your configuration schemes.

Removing the first project will not affect the other one. The configuration schemes are kept.

You can view the project type (software / business / service desk) in several places:

* from "projects" -> "view all projects" this is the complete list

* in a specific project: "project settings" -> "details"

Thanks @Charlie Misonne!

Ok so its not possible to see if Kanban or Process or whatever they are called?

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2017

The kanban / scrum type is defined on the boards.

And you can have multiple boards of different types for a single project

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 16, 2017

Also: when you create a project with shared configuration you'll have to create the boards yourself. They will not be copied from the original project

@Charlie Misonnebut only one type can be assigned at a time, right?

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 16, 2017

One type per board but you can have multiple board types per project

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 16, 2017

Project type is Business, Software or Service Desk.  You can use either type of board with any type of project, and have as many boards as you need

Madineni February 25, 2021

If second project is created using shared configuration of first project, if I delete second project does it affects the first project too.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 28, 2021

No.  Projects are entirely separate to each other, but they can use the same configuration settings - the "schemes" are not project objects, they're held seperately.  When you delete a project, you don't touch its schemes (because they may be being used by other projects)

Like Charlie Misonne likes this

Suggest an answer