Sharing filters via group only displays a small number groups

Steven Lam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2012

I am trying to share a custom filter and when selecting Group, from Add Shares, the dropdown listing the groups is extremely limited, listing 9 of 51 groups.

Currently running JIRA 5.2 but this has been apparent since 4.3.2 (our last upgrade).

Any direction would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Steven

Screenshot: Showing the small list of groups selectable from the Sharing Filter screen

Screenshot of all Groups

1 answer

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2012

Hi Steven,

You are able to see only limited groups while sharing the customfield filter because you're the member of only those limited groups which you can see and not the list of other groups you mentioned in the screenshot. Just add yourself to the other groups and then check whether the remaining groups are getting displayed under the select list while sharing the filter.

Hope this helps!

Steven Lam
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2012

Thanks, I had just realized that as I was looking at my own groups.

Figured being a system admin would supercede everything, but I guess not!

Thank you for your help!

David Gamache October 1, 2014

Helped me. Thanks!

Konstantin Boyko February 28, 2018

This workaround solves the issue, but it's quite annoying that this is required.

Michael Yecies June 26, 2018

Agree with @Steven Lam and @Konstantin Boyko that as a Jira system admin when creating a filter and providing access to the filter for a Jira (Atlassian application) group that I should have access to all the groups regardless of whether I, as the Jira system administrator, am a member of the group or not.

The general model of Jira is that the Jira system administrator has global access at all times and the group selection for the Filter permissions does not match the Jira standard (Atlassian application standard too since I own multiple Atlassian applications). 

Michael Yecies June 26, 2018

As I have an Atlassian Premiere Support contract I have filed a ticket with Atlassian to look into this issue which seems to be a functional bug if not an outright programming bug. 

Note: you will not be able to see the ticket but including here for completeness:

https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/30/PS-27501

Michael Yecies June 28, 2018

Here's the reply from Atlassian:

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 6:26 PM Tim Evans <atlassian-support@atlassian.com> wrote: 

Tim Evans commented:

Hi Michael,

It looks like the ability for an administrator to share with all groups is being looked at as a functional improvement rather than a bug.

There is a long history and most of that is shown in the feature request, JRASERVER-15900

It used to be possible for the admin to share with any group but that changed. The JIRA product team reviewed this and after considering all factors it was decided that this would be classified as a suggestion or feature request, rather than a bug or regression.

We are making improvements to filters and groups and are tracking that work in JRASERVER-17783.

We are working with the JIRA product team regarding JRASERVER-15900and will send over more details when we have them.

Cheers!
Tim | Atlassian

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer