Sharing Same Database Instance across JIRA and Fisheye

Amit Kumar March 9, 2016

Hi All,

we are using JIRA 6.4.11 and we are planning to upgrade to Fish eye 3.10.3 , i have a doubt if we can share the same instance of Database Instance between these applications. This Database instance collation is set to "SQL_Latin1_General_CP437_CI_AI" and Atlassian has recommended to use collation Latin1_General_CS_AS for fish eye  ,  while creating Database for Fishsye i can set same collation as recomneded by Atlassian but Default Collation while installing the database is set to "SQL_Latin1_General_CP437_CI_AI" , so my question is is fisheye will be affected by this kind of behaviour??

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2016

Yes, you need to have the correct database collation settings.

I thought all the database servers supported having different collation settings on different databases though.  So you can have "mydatabaseserver" running and hosting jiradb with one setting and fecrudb with another.

Amit Kumar March 10, 2016

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your response,

I we can do that , but i have seen so many articles on internet that mixing collation is not recommended , we may face some complications in the applications.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6031582/complications-with-sql-server-database-having-different-collation-than-the-serve

what do Atlassian tool set expert suggest , wanted to know.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2016

I'd avoid it too.  Especially with MS-SQL as it's so flaky.  If possible, run two entirely separate databases so you can follow the recommended collation settings for both applications independently.

Amit Kumar March 10, 2016

yeah , we also think same . Thanks for your input smile

Suggest an answer