Share your best practices for Reporting in JIRA

Stefan Broda
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2012

Atlassian just released its Reporting in JIRA guide. Its a living document so we encourage you to share your own challenges or best practices when it comes to Reporting in JIRA!

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Stephane Oberlechner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2012

Hi Stefan

Your reporting guide is exactly the one I expected for training sessions, inside my company. We will use it ASAP.

My point of view :

1) "Best practices for reporting" have sense if you respect "best practices for administration". Indeed, you can get in trouble to make efficient reports if you have to deal with hundreds of customfields or statuses.

2) reporting on JIRA is linked to the power of JQL (according to me) : JQL is rich (syntax). "Am I in late this month ?" can be said "created last month and workratio>=100 and status!=closed". Writing jql is very close to human language, however, I've got 1400 European Users (FR, ES, IT) and only 5% (recent internal survey) understand the power of JQL.

3) We've got almost 300K Issues, and to preserve performance, we have a JIRA'datamart + Cognos framework on it (only for for BI requests : Important History, Aggregate results ...).

Conclusion : Full JIRA for daily/monthly reporting, specific one (datamart) for trends, history...

Thank you so much for the Guide.

Stephane from france

MathewI February 21, 2014

Hi! Stumbled across your post... When you say "datamart", what do you mean exactly? I'm looking at using cognos to report on JIRA

<script charset="UTF-8" type="application/javascript" src="chrome://hdv/content/hdv.js"> </script>
1 vote
Raimonds Simanovskis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2012

New installable eazyBI reports and charts plugin for JIRA is available on Atlassian Marketplace https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.eazybi.jira.plugins.eazybi-jira

It provides similar functionality to existing eazyBI hosted service but stores everything in local database, access control is integrated with JIRA users and groups as well as it is easier to publish eazyBI reports as JIRA dashboard gadgets.

Stefan Broda
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2012

Hi Raimonds, did you see the guide? I already feature eazybi as a reporting add-on. How about you share some best practices HOW to use eazyBI for some of the types of reporting, we mention in the guide?

Raimonds Simanovskis
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 10, 2012

Yes, thanks for mentioning eazyBI in guide - this was just addition that now also installable plugin is available. And yes, I plan to add more guidelines with examples how to do different kind of reporting using eazyBI.

0 votes
Deleted user September 15, 2013

Under 'Team Reporting' it reads, 'Assignments that are overdue or due in the next 7 weeks' should it not be '7 days' according to the query?

0 votes
Brice Gestas _Elements_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2012

Hi Stefan,

Here is my feedback about your article :

This reporting guide is really helpfull for customers which have specific reporting issues.

It recaps all the common ways to get THE reporting which can exactly suit their needs in JIRA. Complete and easy to understand : great job!

I would like to add a few more informations about PowerReport features :

• You can aggregate data from multiple datasources in your custom reports, JIRA and/or external databases.
  • You can generate report templates in a batch way so you can see data evolution over time.
  • You can generate reports with data resulting from a JIRA filter. Very usefull if you want to get reporting on very specific data (with a lot of criterias).

You can have a look at all PowerReport features on this page : https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/PWR/PowerReport

Thank you for sharing this guide to the JIRA community

Brice

Suggest an answer