Share a filter on a dashboard: what if others have no access to WHERE criteria?

Jacques
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2013

hi,

I have the following issue. I'm trying to create a dashboard that includes the "Column Order" gadget which uses a filter that I would like to share with other people. Something along the lines of:

project in (PROJECTONE, PROJECTTWO) AND resolution = Unresolved AND
assignee in (EMPTY) ORDER BY createdDate DESC

When sharing this dashboard with other people there is an issue when they don't have access to one of the projects in the JQL. The gadget will report the following error:

The selected filter filter-12345 has an error: A value with ID '10383'
does not exist for the field 'project'..

When looking at the created JQL for this user, it seems that the PROJECTONE (for which the user has no access) was translated to the internal JIRA code:

project in (10383, PROJECTTWO) AND resolution = Unresolved AND
assignee in (EMPTY) ORDER BY createdDate DESC

Does anyone know about a solution? Or has had the same issue?

thanks!

Jacques.

1 answer

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2013

I think this behavior is independent from the use of the "Column Order" Plugin. If a user has no permission on a project or an issue and within a shared filter one of those Projects or issues is used by name or ID the filter becomes invalid with the ' ... does not exists for ..." message.

Best would be to have two dashbords (one for Projectone and one for Projecttwo) with two filters.

Jacques
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2013

When I run the filter directly in the default issue search window then the same JQL with the erroneous project name works and returns the results I need... So I'm pretty certain that it has to do with the Column Gadget... no?

For various reasons I cannot create different dashboards for each project.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2013

I guess you have permission on both projects, that's why it works for you in the issue search window. I have seen these Error messages in shared filter on other users Dashboards also and we don't use this plugin, that is why I said the bahavior is independent of this Plugin.

If you can't have different Dashboards you can add two filters on one Dashboard (Projectone and Projecttwo). So one Filter might be invalid (due to lacking permissions) while the other displays results.

Suggest an answer