Share JIRA Cloud Issue with Non-Users

Angie Canon January 9, 2015

Hi,

We use JIRA Cloud.

We have team members who do not use JIRA because we do not want them to get distracted by the long discussions in "commenting" that some of our issues accumulate. We want to share clear, confirmed tasks (e.g., do this, not that).

To share tasks with these team members, I send them emails that I generate manually in Gmail. I then paste the email content in "comments" to record the communication. I do not use an exported PDF of the issue because there are too many fields that are distracting to the team member.

I would prefer to use the issue description field as the final confirmation of the task, "share" the issue with the team member via the share link in the upper right, and have the team member either

• see the description in the email or
  • click the link to the ticket and see the ticket in some sort of on-screen view.

Questions:

• When I use the "share" link, only the ticket summary appears in the email, for JIRA users and non-users. Is there a way to tell JIRA to include the description field?
    • If not, is there a way for a non-user to click the Summary in the "share" email and see a view-only version of the issue?
    • If not, is there a way to customize the fields included in the exported Word / PDF of the issue so that I can select what fields to include? I can then attach it to an email. (When exporting as Word, manually deleting the fields I don't need to share is not sustainable.)

As I type this, I am beginning to think that I could just use sub-tasks and keep those clean and not use commenting there, but I do not want to generate extra issues.

Please consider the questions above and feel free to offer up any other suggestions you may have.

Thank you!

2 answers

0 votes
Angie Canon January 12, 2015

Thanks, @Boris Berenberg.

I'll have to play with that approach.

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2015

I was also going to suggest just using sub tasks. If you have a license that allows for enough seats where you could give those users access to JIRA, then you could not use the jira-users group for any permissions, and only for access to JIRA. Then craft a user custom field in the issue, and set up issue security to allow all normal users access, and the person on the custom field. But then you would not give them membership into whatever role or group has the permission to edit the issues, only the browse project permission.

Subtasks are much easier to track and maintain and train your users to use though.

Suggest an answer