Setup component for incoming mail handler

GF TAS October 5, 2014

Hey,

is there any chance to setup the project component for an incoming mail handler?

f.e. product-xy@company goes to project "system administration", component "product-xy"

I found some add-ons, most with expired version support and the pretty expensive "enterprise mail handler". Is there any other option to setup the component? Something like calling the API and bulk changing tickets or stuff like that? Any experience?

Additionally, is there anything planned in future versions of JIRA to extend the default mail handler to something really powerful?

Cheers,
Christian

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2014

I don't think Atlassian have any plans to compete with the Enterprise Mail Handler.

Your other option is to simply write your own handler.  JEMH is "expensive" because it has immense flexibility and can cover a huge range of uses, and that requires a lot of coding.  But if you only need a couple of things, it may well be worth writing your own that only does the things you need it to.

They're actually relatively easy to write as well (heck, I wrote a couple, so it really can't be that hard!).  The way the plugins are structured means that you can take a simple skeleton that just processes mail as the standard "create or comment" does and add your own code to it without having to worry about email formats, connecting to servers etc - it really is just the bit that processes the data and files an issue create/comment.

GF TAS October 5, 2014

Hi Nic,

thank you for the fast reply. This is an interesting idea. How did you start writing them? I found this page:

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Custom+Message+(Mail)+Handler+for+JIRA

Did you use this page to start or is there any better way on learning how to write them? 

Cheer,
Christian

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2014

Yup, that's where I started too.

Suggest an answer