Setup SSO for my domain users as customers on Service Desk and license implications

Daniel Reis January 4, 2018

We use JIRA mainly between devs and the digital team, whoever I have been testing JSD and quite keen to rollout across the company. Is there any way to use SAML via AzureAD to SSO our domain users as customers to the JSD? What would be the implication license wise? As far as I understand, customers don't take up a license on JIRA, but can I have them to sign in using their domain credentials?

1 answer

0 votes
Christian Reichert (resolution)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2018

Hi @Daniel Reis,

welcome to the forum.

I am assuming you are talking about Jira Server (not Jira Cloud).

For Jira Server to do SSO again AzureAD you'll need a 3rd Party Plugin, that support JSD as well. However once you pick one and doe the Setup, then there is no Jira License Impact. The Userbase only using JSD will still not consume a Jira license.

However there will a cost impact for the 3rd Party Plugin that are you using - however if you only have you digital team on there, it's probably not much.

I work for resolution and we have such a Plugin (SAML Single Sign on for JIRA) in the marketplace.

Pricing for small teams (i.e. if you only have a couple of Agents and customer on your Install) should not impact you too much: (10 USD for up-to 25 Users/Agents). SD Customers are free.

Some other Marketplace Vendors have similar Solutions - and the following marketplace search should give you a reasonable overview:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?product=jira-service-desk&query=saml

Hope this helps ...

P.S. Should you have a mix of SD Agents and Jira Core/Software Users, we've written up a KB Article here how to determine the correct license sizes then. That Article applies to pretty much all paid-via-Atlassian Marketplace plugins. Not just ours. 

Cheers,
    Christian

Daniel Reis January 8, 2018

Thanks for your reply Cristian!

I should have been more descriptive on my question, we are actually using JIRA Cloud and I've been doing some research and this appears to not be in place yet! I can see this has been requested though:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-1015

I'll carry on doing some digging to see if I find something.

Suggest an answer