Setting user/group permissions on a custom field in JIRA

Anton Marinov May 23, 2012

Hi Atlassian Support team,

I have a question regarding some JIRA functionality and was hoping you could help me.

Is it possible in JIRA to set up permissions, so that I can have a Group or list of users only that can edit a Custom Field value. We have a custom field, called Work Bucket, and I would like to set it so that only the PMO group in our JIRA instance can set the value in this field. Or it can even be so that only this Group can see the field, whatever is possible.

Can you help me understand if any of the above is possible and how do I do that?

I tried this page:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA050/Configuring+Issue-level+Security

But it does not seem to address the above needs.

Thank you in advance for your help.

6 answers

1 vote
Gopala krishna May 6, 2019

Hi All,

I am new to JIRA, and i'm using JIRA Cloud and i want to know about the field level security for different users.

Is it possible in JIRA Cloud??. Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

gopala krishna.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2019

There is no "field level security" in Jira.

You can control editing to an extent, by making "edit field X" a workflow action instead of an edit (and adding conditions to the transitions you add for it), but you can't hide a field at all.

On server, the Quisapps field security app is the best solution, although Scriptrunner behaviours can hide stuff too (if you don't mind it coming out in the raw html and just being hidden by the browser - the users can override that if they want).  You do not have those options on Cloud.

Like # people like this
Takafumi Ohtake -Ricksoft-
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 3, 2021

Currently, there are apps that enable "field level security" for Jira Cloud.

Field Level Security Apps for Jira Cloud 

Hide fields and make fields read-only based on user, group, project role, and so on.

(Please note that I'm one of the folks behind Ricksoft that is the vendor of one of the apps.)

Like Takayuki Hirota likes this
1 vote
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2012

Hi Anton,

The most of this forum users are not from Atlassian, just to clarify.

Regarding to the documentation that you checked, that's only for give to the issue a security level so it can be visible only for the people that you want.

In order to restrict the modification for the custom field here you have other options:

Depending on your Jira Version:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA043/How+to+create+a+new+Custom+Field+Type#HowtocreateanewCustomFieldType-Admin-onlyeditablefield

Or here it is a plugin you can install in case your on Standalone version:

https://plugins.atlassian.com/23216

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2012

Here it is a discussed solution for this:

http://forums.atlassian.com/message.jspa?messageID=257297780

Like Sp22 likes this
Marc Nollet January 22, 2014

Hello Ramiro, I have a similar request as the one from Anton: In our organisation we use Jira 5.2.11. and we have different projects for the different teams (HW development , SW development, ...) . People from the HW development team want to add a field in the SW development project issues to be able to flag the issues as important for the HW team. This is possible but the problem is that we need to give the HW people read/write access to the issues in the SW project. This implies that the HW people can edit all the fields in the SW issues which is not preferable. What we are looking for is how to create a field in the SW project issues project that can be read/write for the HW people while the rest of the fields remain read only. Is that possible in a simple way?

0 votes
Sudipta Panda April 29, 2021

How this is going to work in current new jira issue view? :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

Exactly the same way - the new view still stops you editing fields if they're not editable, and it pops screens during transitions.

0 votes
Olga Buslovich September 11, 2019

Thanks Nic Brough!

Would you give an example on how to make " ... 'edit field X' a workflow action instead of an edit (and adding conditions to the transitions you add for it)" in JIRA cloud , please?

Thanks in advance ,

Olga

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2019
  • Remove the field from the edit screen.
  • Create  new screen that has the field you want to protect.
  • Edit the workflow, adding transitions to each status.  These transitions should
    • Have the screen with the field on it
    • Go back to the same status
    • Have conditions that only allow people you want to edit the field to use them
Like # people like this
Olga Buslovich September 12, 2019

Thank you so very much, Nic Brough!!

Adding a new screen that includes the field that I want to restrict access to, adding a new transition with the condition that only a few users can change entry of that field did the trick.

Thank you again,

Olga

Ahmet Kilic _catworkx November 14, 2019

It doesn't work for me, 

I'm doing somewhere somthing wrong maybe.

2 screen I've

One for admin and other for customer

By creating there is no option to go back transition

• Have conditions that only allow people you want to edit the field to use them
  • How can I do this exactly?
  • On Postfuntion I used 
  • Precondition: User Is In Any Roles (JSU)
  • But it didnt work out

Thanks in advance

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2021

Why are you using post-functions when the solution specifically said to use conditions?

0 votes
Rotem Shani May 31, 2018

Hi,

I have almost same question,

In my case we use Jira Could and I would like to change permissions for Priority field so only admin can change it.

Is it possible? 

Thanks,

Rotem

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2018

It's the same answer as before, it's not changed.  Jira doesn't have field level security.

Like Heather R likes this
Rotem Shani June 3, 2018

Thanks 

raphilevine January 9, 2019

I too need this ability.

There are certain fields (both custom and native) which only certain users (i.e. Developers) should be able to edit and some which we don't want to even display to some users.

I am on Jira Cloud and it seems that this is basic functionality which is missing.

Like Carlos Lloret likes this
Thienky Dang April 23, 2019

This answer by Ivan Tovbin seems to be the only workaround. Not too much work if its truly required.

0 votes
Procurement August 7, 2014

Hello,

I am facing similar issue as Marc Nollet.

Please help with solution.

We need only one customer field to be edited by specific group and rest should be read only.

Thank you.

Lucas Silva Dummy Account January 29, 2015

Hi, you can do that with the the jira field security plugin https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.quisapps.jira.jfs the only problem is that this plugin only sets the security clearence for custom fields

Like Sergey Tunik likes this

Suggest an answer