Setting up email requests in Jira Service Desk

Bernard Gorman January 20, 2016

Hi,

We are currently using JIRA Service Desk 2.5.2 and JIRA 6.4.6.

Customers can currently update existing JIRA Service Desk (JSD) tickets (but not create new tickets) via email.

To create new JSD tickets, they have to visit the customer portal.

The above email update facility was set up using a JIRA mail handler.

We now wish to add in the ability for customers to be able to create new JSD tickets by email as well as update existing tickets.

Should we continue to do everything using the JIRA mail handlers or switch over to using the JSD email settings completely?

If the former (JIRA Mail handlers):

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We originally set up the mail handler 'Add a comment from the non-quoted email body' (A) which works fine.

We now wish to change the mail handler so that additionally new requests can be created by email. I can see there is a mail handler specifically for this purpose 'Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue'. (B)

My question is I can simple edit the existing incoming mail handler from A to B or do I need to delete A and then create B from scratch?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many thanks in advance.

bernard

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2016

Hi @Bernard Gorman,

You should use a new mail handler from the "email" channel in the portal settings. You need to make sure to have an empty inbox first. And you need to have the summary and description on the portal setting and all other fields should be optional.

4 votes
Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2016

Hi @Bernard Gorman,

If my response solved your issue, please mark my answer as accepted smile

Thanks,

0 votes
Bernard Gorman February 25, 2016

Thanks George,

I have accepted your response.

bernard

Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2016

Thanks @Bernard Gorman smile

0 votes
Bernard Gorman February 24, 2016

Hi George,

I've set up the JSD email channel and this works well.

Thanks for your response.

bernard

Suggest an answer