Setting up an Integration between Jira Cloud and an onprem program.

KyleM July 3, 2017

Morning Everyone,

My scenario is, I have a progress developer that has made himself a "Job System".

This job system will need to read ticket info from Jira, The program is onPrem and Jira is Cloud.

I am not a developer, however have been tasked to enable the integration between the two. 

I am wondering if anyone can provide a step by step on how to do this?

Any help is appreciated,

1 answer

0 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2017

Hi Kyle,

Why not have your on-prem application connect to JIRA using the REST API?  Here's a link to the documentation: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/cloud/.

Also, you can connect applications through the "Application Links" feature.  (Admin > Applications > Application links.)  Here's the documentation on that: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/APPLINKS061/Application+Links+Documentation

I'm not at all an expert on either of the two above things, but what I can contribute is this:  

Setup a documentation page where you record the details of all connections between JIRA and other apps.  This list of application details and contacts will come in handy when your performing some action that might have an impact on external apps (ex: bulk changes) or when some app is misbehaving.  For each connection, whether it be REST API, database, or third party application, I record:

• Application name
  • Application address
  • What does the application do?
  • What permissions does the app have?
  • What username does the app connect with?
  • Which JIRA project is the app modifying?
  • What database permissions does the user have?
  • What username does the app connect with?
  • External app contact names

Hope this helps!

Rachel Wright

Suggest an answer