Setting up a portal customer

Keith O'Malley May 19, 2014

Hi,

I'm just looking for some info on how to setup a portal customer. I need them to be able to log issues and only see their portal calls.

Thanks,

Keith

4 answers

0 votes
Lance Wong August 20, 2014

what i have figured out is that you have to use the special permission Service Desk Customer - Portal Access

to give a user "service desk only" access, these two things must be done:

• user must have the service desk customer role in the project
  • the projects browse projects permission must include Service Desk Customer - Portal Access

if the user is able to get the browse projects permission via any other route, ie from being a member of another group or role, then they will NOT have "service desk only" access.

0 votes
Keith O'Malley May 20, 2014

High Benji, thanks for that.

I now have portal access assigned to various users, but if they scroll back on the web address, they can gain access to our actual incident issues log, so they can see our comments etc. Thats not something we want.

I presume there is a setting within the User or Customer role that can deny this access.

Cheers, Keith

0 votes
Keith O'Malley May 19, 2014

Will all calls raised by multiple customers then feed into the one view for our admin ?

0 votes
BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2014

Hi Keith,

This is how we do it:

1) Create a user for each customer that needs access

2) Create a new project role f.e Customer (this will be visible in all projects)

3) Create a permission scheme in which you decide what rights the Customer role will have. Typically customers only need to Browse Projects and Create Issues

4) Make sure your project uses the permission scheme from step 3

5) In your project add all client users (from step 1) to the Customer role

Hope this helps?!

BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2014

Hi Keith,

I wil continue answering your question in this thread.

No, the admin will still be able to distinguish which customer has entered what issue. The initial reporter of an issue is a user (not a role) and afterwards you can perfectly run a JQL query to find all issues created by a certain user (customer).

The only need for a role is to group users that fall under the same permission regulation. Every project has the role Customer available and in this case by adding users (customers) to the Customer role, you simply give them Browse Projects and Create Issues permissions on that project. If you want f.e. give another group of customers more permissions, you create another role that has more permissions (also Edit Issues for example) and add those users to that role.

Hope this answers your question?

BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2014

Hi Keith,

For comments you have the option to select which groups/roles can see the comment:

This is the only way to change a comment's visibility. With permissions you can only set who can add, edit and delete comments.

BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2014

The following thread can also be interesting for you:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/296809/how-to-set-default-permissions-for-comments

Since your developers have to make sure they always change the view scope of the comment, you can also set the default view group/role to another value. In that case your internal users have to change the value explicitly when they want the customer to see the comment (which is more error-prone).

Suggest an answer