Setting up SMTP Help desk to send notifications?

Irving Rodriguez January 28, 2016

Hello, my question is does JIRA provide an email server and how do you turn it on if it does. For example when i'm setting up the SMTP host name do I already have a Host Name, Or do i need to create my own third party one and add it to the help-desk.  What I ultimately want done is to be able to send notifications from the help-desk but there isn’t a mail server setup. I'm pretty new at all this so any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advanced! 

image2016-1-28 12:4:1.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2016

No, it does not ship with a mail server, you will need to provide one.

A lot of us run a small simple mail server on the box (the system I just glanced at is running postfix) and then point the server to "localhost", letting the mail server relay the mail on.  Most Linux distributions have mail servers available, and some will install them by default.

Irving Rodriguez January 28, 2016

Ahh interesting, I'm sort of really new at this. Is there a tutorial or something to see how that is set up? maybe something i can research on, oh and thank you for your answer. It was very helpful.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2016

A lot of JIRA admins will do it the easy way - go bother their organisation's email support team!

If you don't have that sort of help, then you'll want to select an appropriate set of mail services (an email server is often several parts  (a mail transfer agent, a delivery agent and and an incoming mailbox server) and build that out somewhere.  Start with the operating system if you're going to do this on the JIRA box - what is it running on?  (If it's a Debian Linux type system, "apt-get install postfix" will do most of the work for the outgoing mail.  For a RedHat type, rpm or yum install.  And so-on)

Suggest an answer