Setting target dates from calculated schedule

Mohammad Fouad January 26, 2017

in the new portfolio 2.2 the documentation says you can create a baseline by filling target dates with whatever the plan has calculated as start and end dates

The document says: 

1. Go to Scope >  and check the fields target start date and target end date so they are displayed in the scope view columns.
  2.  Create the work items that need to to be done.
  3.  Go to the Schedule settings and select Target schedule from the drop-down menu.

4.  Set targets > set target dates from calculated.

I cannot find the "Targets > set target dates" mentioned step #4 anywhere and the document does not provide a screenshot of where to find that button or menu.

Am I missing something or this feature did not ship yet?

2 answers

1 vote
Mohammad Fouad February 3, 2017

found it, in the Scope View, you select the checkbox next to each issue, a dropdown shows up and lets you set the target date

Manjari Das June 17, 2020

@Mohammad Fouad  Thanks a ton! I had to search all over the portfolio to see what I was missing.

0 votes
Joshwa Marcalle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2019

This dropdown never appears for me and I have followed all these steps. 

Is this still a thing in Jira portfolio or did they take it away?

Mike Solomon July 8, 2019

@Joshwa Marcalle i have to think that its gone. I can't get it to show up either

Like Larry at Isos likes this
Alessandro Basili January 8, 2020

This is very unfortunate. The power of automatic planning of Portfolio is actually extremely useful to extract those target date at the very beginning and if you have a highly complex plan with many epics and or initiatives it is quite a pain to do it manually.

Is there a possibility to open a feature request for this so that this functionality is brought back in?

Another point that I found particularly useful was to "copy the story points over" to the original story point estimates, since this would easily allow to compare along the way and give insights on why the original estimate was actually off.

Suggest an answer