Setting default organization for individual customers

Peo Krook February 25, 2021

For customers belonging to more than one organization, all new requests are defaulted to be "Private". 

Is it possible to have the share with setting defaulted to one of the organizations instead?

1 answer

1 vote
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2021

Hi @Peo Krook,

Yes, you can change the default setting:

• If you're on Jira Cloud (xxx.atlassian.net), go to Settings > Products > Configuration:

Capture d’écran 2021-02-25 à 13.35.53.png

• If you're on Jira Server/Data Center, go to Applications > Configuration:

Capture d’écran 2021-02-25 à 13.37.40.png

Hope this helps,

- Manon

I'm sorry @Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_ , but according to your screenshots the answer seems to be NO to my question.

My question was about customers belonging to MORE than one organization.

Is there any other option for me?

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this

I am on Jira Server (but will migrate to cloud soon)

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2021

Like it was mentioned at the bottom of the screenshot of @Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_ that would be a "no". 

The system only knows who to share with if there is a single organisation. If multiple are available it will not be done automatically.

if you do migrate to Cloud eventually you could set up an automation rule there to auto edit the issue and set the Organisation field (on the issue) based on the user's email domain. It's a workaround but all you have right now.

You might want to launch this as a request on JAC (https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa) or through a support request (https://support.atlassian.com/contact) to raise it as a suggestion for future development

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2021

Oh, indeed I misread your initial post @Peo Krook! Thanks for clarifying @Dirk Ronsmans 👍

Thank you @Dirk Ronsmans

I will follow your links and file a request somehow.

While on the subject...  Is there any way to tamper with customers permissions (on a group kind of level) in order for them to be able to view requests (e.g. from a link) even if the request is private?

I have tried. The only way I have succeeded is on a indivudual level (adding a email address to a browse project setting or something - I don't remember exactly). But I do not want to do this for each individual, but rather per organization if possible.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2021

@Peo Krook well if the issue is private then it's private.

A customer can only view the issue if it is shared with them or the organisation they are a part of.

Using the browser project permissions would make them no longer a customer and they would consume a license imho..

Normally customer permissions are handled through a general "role" on the permission scheme "Service Project Customer - Portal Access" this allows them to have access as a customer and using the "share with" mechanism (Request Participants) and not consume a license

Thank you @Dirk Ronsmans

Then I know. I wasn't aware that I gave the user a Jira license when I gave him Browse Project privileges. But it makes sense of course.

I really need to adress a change for better support of setting default sharing. In our model we need to have different organisations within the servicedesk, and allowing customers to be members of more than one and NOT have the default sharing set to Private or they will forget to share the request almost every time they file one.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2021

Well giving them the browse project permissions doesn't inherrently give them a license. However they need to be a user (which does have application access) to be able to be mentioned in a permission scheme..

Right now I do believe automation might be your best bet. On cloud this would be easy as you could capture the user's email domain and based on that set a default organisation yourself (through automation then).

On Server it might be trickier as you don't have access to that detail (i believe). An option could be to have them choose a value on a custom field (instead of using the share with) and set that field as mandatory. Based on that field you could then automate the organisation field.

It's a work around and could be admin heavy/complex but personally I don't see another way of doing this.

Thanks again, but the domain address doesn't suffice for our needs anyway, since many users are on the same domain but on different departments, products or businesses that we need to organize them by. Which we have done with Organizations.

And I eventually realized this configuration needs to be on a indivudual level anyway. 

Peo Krook October 26, 2021

What did just happen to this question? Suddenly I recieved an email saying an answer to this question was accepted. And now that I view it it says the initial wrong answer indeed was accepted. By whom? At least not by me. I thought an answer could only be accepted by the person putting the question. Obvously not. 

Can an accepted answer be unaccepted again? Well... I'll give it a try.... 

Peo Krook October 26, 2021

It is possible :) 

I unaccepted the accepted answer.

Suggest an answer