Setting a screen's fixVersion via JS

Matt August 30, 2012

Hi All,

I'd like to set the initial fixVersion of a screen via JS. I'm doing the same to set the assignee to the current user(as opposed to automatic). The only problem is I don't know the JS code to set the fix version field. Does anyone know the proper form?

For reference, this is is what I use for assignee:

<script type="text/javascript">
    var fixVersionsSelect = AJS.$("#fixVersions"); 
    fixVersionsSelect.trigger('set-selection-value', "10006");
</script>

And what I have started for the version:

<script type="text/javascript">
    var fixVersionsSelect = AJS.$("#fixVersions"); 
    fixVersionsSelect.trigger('set-selection-value', "version #");
</script>

1 answer

0 votes
Jeff Turner September 4, 2012

Hi,

I recommend installing Firebug (https://getfirebug.com/) or equivalent, if you're going to be tinkering with Javascript. Then in JIRA load the "create issue" page, F12 to launch Firebug and "inspect" the Fix Version/s element. In my JIRA it is a textarea with id "fixVersions-textarea". Then switching to the Firebug Console, I can type AJS.$("#fixVersions-textarea").val("3.0"), and can see it sets the value.

Unless this is a quick once-off hack, I wouldn't recommend this approach of using Javascript to preset field values. It won't take effect for issues created by email, or by SOAP or REST. It's also very brittle, as Atlassian make no guarantees about the HTML or Javascript structure of pages. I'd rather install the Groovy plugin, and create a Groovy post-function that sets the assignee and/or Fix version.

Matt September 4, 2012

Thanks Jeff, that's what I was looking for.

A couple of thoughts in response:

Fortunately we don't really need this feature anywhere else, we just want it when we are creating issues in a screen. It's mainly so when we create 20 issues or so it's defaulted to the current version.

I looked into the Groovy plugin, it might work for our purposes. One of the problems I ran into with post functions on create is that there is no conditinal check. So if a user fills out the form with values they would be overwritten by the post script. If I could do the Groovy plugin, and have a script that said 'if the current version is not set, set it to the default' that would be ideal.

The best possible solution would be to have default values definable for each screen. We just want to be able to define some default values for the screens when users are filling in data. I suppose I'll make a ticket for that!

Matt September 6, 2012

Drat, so after using this, it seems like there's still a snafu. It sets the field, but since Jira uses those label objects, it doesn't get added to the ticket. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there's a way to 'set' the fix version. Time for a feature request!

Suggest an answer