Setting Up Multiple Customer-Delivered Projects in Jira

Andrew Ensor September 12, 2019

Hello,

I am a Project Manager and am currently starting to define our customer-deliverable project intake and management process. I have used Microsoft Project in the past and am looking for a similar way to manage my projects in Jira and Portfolio, which I am new to.

Here are my requirements:

• Need to import a standard set of tasks, with sub-tasks and dependencies, into Jira for each new project that we receive (e.g. Customer A Project 1, Customer B Project 3, etc.)
    • This set of tasks will look something like this:

Task #PredecessorTaskDurationResource

PO Received

0 days

N/A

Internal Kick-Off

2 days

N/A

External Kick-Off

2 days

N/A

SOW Complete

10 days

Project Manager

Receive Items & Bins from Customer for Testing

10 days

Project Manager

Data Collection & Model Retraining

15 days

Data Collection & ML

Hardware Received

0 days

Deployment

Hardware Prep & Testing

10 days

Deployment

FAT

TBD

Deployment

• Would like to import with Placeholder resources per team, and then later assign actual team members based on availability/capacity
  • Need to import tasks with a starting date (or set this date once in Jira) and have all dependent tasks update with date shift
  • Need to be able to add tasks, dependencies, modify durations, manually update dates for tasks within a project
  • Would like to view Work Breakdown Structure for a project easily, along with associated dates and resources
  • Need to view all project schedules in 1 place at a task level, with resource assignments
    • Need to be able to determine when a new project can fit in our schedule based on resource availability
  • View our capacity by team and individual team member

I would imagine that a combination of Jira and Portfolio can satisfy these requirements, but I'm having a difficult time on the initial setup. Should each customer project be its own Jira project? Or a board within a single 'Deployments' project for each customer project, tagged somehow with the customer name?

Any assistance or direction would be very helpful. I have a strong feeling that Portfolio can accomplish what I am looking for and I would like to avoid an add-in tools, if possible.

Thanks! 

0 answers

Suggest an answer