It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Setting Up Multiple Customer-Delivered Projects in Jira

Hello,

I am a Project Manager and am currently starting to define our customer-deliverable project intake and management process. I have used Microsoft Project in the past and am looking for a similar way to manage my projects in Jira and Portfolio, which I am new to.

Here are my requirements:

• Need to import a standard set of tasks, with sub-tasks and dependencies, into Jira for each new project that we receive (e.g. Customer A Project 1, Customer B Project 3, etc.)
    • This set of tasks will look something like this:

Task #PredecessorTaskDurationResource

PO Received

0 days

N/A

Internal Kick-Off

2 days

N/A

External Kick-Off

2 days

N/A

SOW Complete

10 days

Project Manager

Receive Items & Bins from Customer for Testing

10 days

Project Manager

Data Collection & Model Retraining

15 days

Data Collection & ML

Hardware Received

0 days

Deployment

Hardware Prep & Testing

10 days

Deployment

FAT

TBD

Deployment

• Would like to import with Placeholder resources per team, and then later assign actual team members based on availability/capacity
  • Need to import tasks with a starting date (or set this date once in Jira) and have all dependent tasks update with date shift
  • Need to be able to add tasks, dependencies, modify durations, manually update dates for tasks within a project
  • Would like to view Work Breakdown Structure for a project easily, along with associated dates and resources
  • Need to view all project schedules in 1 place at a task level, with resource assignments
    • Need to be able to determine when a new project can fit in our schedule based on resource availability
  • View our capacity by team and individual team member

I would imagine that a combination of Jira and Portfolio can satisfy these requirements, but I'm having a difficult time on the initial setup. Should each customer project be its own Jira project? Or a board within a single 'Deployments' project for each customer project, tagged somehow with the customer name?

Any assistance or direction would be very helpful. I have a strong feeling that Portfolio can accomplish what I am looking for and I would like to avoid an add-in tools, if possible.

Thanks! 

0 answers

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

303 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you