Setting Task Duration

David Jessop November 7, 2017

Hi there,

I am trying to set a duration for my Jira tasks that could then be used to create a gantt chart based on the dependencies and an overall start date. I have added the Duration field but it simply appears as two drop down lists containing 'None'.

So my questions are, can task duration be used in this way in Jira to drive a gantt chart and, is there a simple mistake that I have made in adding this field?

Thanks in advance,

David 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2017

Hi @David Jessop,

The 'duration' you mention would usually be set using the Original Estimate field, which you can add to your projects/screens as the Time Tracking field (it is called like that because you also get the remaining estimate field with it, as well as the option to log work).

Users require Work on Issues permission for the relevant projects though and time tracking should be enabled on your Jira instance. This is normally the case by default, but you can find more information here if it isn't.

I am sure you know that Jira does not offer gantt chart functionality by default. But you can extend Jira with a lot of apps that do offer that capability (quick search on Gantt on the Atlassian Marketplace). 

David Jessop November 8, 2017

Thanks Walter, 

That helps. Yes I've been testing with some Gantt charts.

Kind regards 

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2017

Allright, @David Jessop; great!

If the answer helped you along, would you mind also accepting it on the Community? That would help other users with a similar question find it more easily in the future.

Thx for the feedback!

Suggest an answer