Setting Subtask Values from Parent Failing for Cascading Select

William Spengler February 20, 2014

I have a Cascading Select custom field that I would like to have subtasks inherit on creation. I have tried using both JMWE to Set Field Value from Parent and JSU to Copy Value from Other Field as part of the Create Transition in the workflow. Both produce the same inconsistent result, namely, they don't always pick the right cascading select combination for the subtask.

My custom field has values like:

• (Parent) 2012 (Children) Defect, Upstream, BAU - This set of options is disabled
  • (Parent) 2013 (Children) Project A, Project B
  • (Parent) BAU (Children) Stabilization, Defect, Upstream

My test parent issue has this field set to BAU - Upstream, BUT the subtask creation invariably picks 2012 - Upstream. When I change the field value on the parent to 2013 - Project A, it successfully creates a subtask with the correct field value.

Has anyone seen similar behavior or have suggestions for alternatives or work-arounds?

We're running JIRA 6.0.8 with JMWE 3.3 and JSU 1.4.9.

Thanks!!!

Bill

4 answers

0 votes
Stephan Bielmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2014

Fix in JSU will be available in next release, details see: https://jsutil.atlassian.net/browse/JSUTIL-237

0 votes
David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2014

This is indeed a limitation of JMWE. I have created an issue in our issue tracker: https://innovalog.atlassian.net/browse/JMWE-226

I'm attaching a tentative fix to that issue. Please let me know if it works for you.

William Spengler February 20, 2014

David:

Your tenative fix has proven successful in our testing so far. I was able to set to desired parent-child cascade values. It also tested successfully when I omitted the second tier. Thanks for the speedy turn-around.

Bill

0 votes
Stephan Bielmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2014

I will have a look at JSU and if I can fix it.

0 votes
Stephan Bielmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2014

I will have a look at JSU and if I can fix it.

Suggest an answer