Set-up Sub-projects / Componenets in JIRA

Rizwan Rizvi May 30, 2013

Here is my requirement and any suggestions more than welcome.

I need to set-up JIRA in such a way that a project can have sub-project/componenet to it. The Project itself will have a major overall version and the sub-projects/componenets will have thier own versions.

Each component/sub-project might invlove the same team or different team and hence might have different leads. Could use same workflow but a different workflow is mnore than better.

Any idea to implement this concept in current JIRA set-up. inderstand JRIa doesnot allow hierarchy but if any one was able to get around it.

4 answers

2 votes
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2013

Hi Rizwan -

Have you tried the Structure plugin for hierarchy layout, among much other - pretty powerful ! I recommend that you download a free eval and try it ..

http://almworks.com/structure/overview.html

Best,

Ellen

0 votes
Sagar August 21, 2017

I was looking for it too then we came up with using the "components" field as subprojects. In components we have entered all out subprojects and made that mandatory field for that specific project while creating an issue. Once this is done, its easy to create filters based on componends and feed them to the widgets onto your dashboard.

0 votes
Rizwan Rizvi May 31, 2013

Yep One such Project with many sub-projects. Now there could be multiple projects with multiple sub-projects in each.

The idea of having different issue types for each type should solve the workflow problem.

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2013

Hi, would be difficult but I think it's possible...

1. Components have the ability to separate your project to sub-projects, the problem is that you won't be able to create versions only for one component, once a version is created it can be used in any issue from the project.

2. Components have Component Leader who will be leader for that sub-project. In order to separate who will be able to see and work on a issue you can configure the issue security by role or group of users (You can separate teams with roles or groups). But to have different workflows means you will need different issue types per team.

Hope this helps.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2013

In this particular case, all sub-projects are related to only one product?

Yep One such Project with many sub-projects. Now there could be multiple projects with multiple sub-projects in each.

The idea of having different issue types for each type should solve the workflow problem.

Ramiro,

Thanks for the answer but I already use componenets like you described. My problem is to get a sub-project level with its own versions. What I am aiming is an issue when comes in might belong to different sub-project each with a different team. this should be movable and be assigned a version number for release.

Release of a sub-project SP1 Ver 0.1 should be independent of SP2 Ver 3.0. The Project P1 has at a time SP1 Ver 0.1, SP2 Ver 3.0 etc.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2013

Having multiple projects could be a solution too? Instead of having project and sub-projects...

But that would mean too many projects to handle. A single Project might have 10 components (Sub-projects). imagine 10 projects.

I read one of the ticket some one requested versioning for componenets but don't think its in the list of features at Atlassian any time in near furture. Hoping somone might have found a way around it. To me it seems more like organizing in a special way. Not sure yet..

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2013

I see... The real problem will be the versions... A possibility would be creating a custom field that will manage other versions... But I think it won't be easy to do...

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2013

Hope you find some workaround for this... In the meanwhile post the ticket here so anyone can do a follow up...

Suggest an answer