Set permission ondemand

khoa nguyen April 1, 2014

Hello,

Currently, I am using JIRA 4.1.2 version to manage projects, I want to create 1 account for my customer to access 1 project with permission :

1/ Only access to 1 project that defined

2/ User/ Group can only create issue on above project and view only owner's issue ( not comment anything )

I don't know how to configure one, please help me this case

Thanks

Khoa Nguyen

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2014

It depends on what setup you have now. If you based your permissions on the defaults, you are probably going to have to re-engineer the lot. Somewhere, you've got a group that says "people in this group can log in". It's usually "jira-users", but you should check this in "Global permissions"

Once you know what that group is, you need to REMOVE it from ALL roles, and ALL permission schemes, so that adding people into the "can log in" group does not also grant any other rights. As you do that, you'll need to think about how you let your existing users into the projects they currently have access to.

Once you've got it set up so that you have a single method "can log in, but do nothing else" group, then you can let your customer into just that one project.

It also sounds like you need to read up on permission schemes, and probably look for the "reporter browse" perission too!

khoa nguyen April 2, 2014

Hi Nic,

Thank your support. I did not find report browse permission in my jira.

Could you please tell me know as:

1/ Create 1 group that like jira_users ( users belong one can login and I don't want to use jira_users group because it's impact other permission schema)

2/ I did not find only view ower's issue permission to apply one

I wonder we are need install any add-on in jira, is it right ?

Please help me or show me step by step

Finally, I want "Restricting what one user to only view issues created to them? "

Thanks

Khoa

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2014

No, you don't need any addons or anything complex.

For q1:

Create a new group, and put everyone in it. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Managing+usersfor doing this with OnDemand.

Once you've got that group, go into Admin -> Global permissions and

1. Add that group in the permission "jira users"
  2. Remove the existing "jira-users" groups from the permission "jira users"

For q2

Now go into your project and look at the permission scheme. Check who has "browse" and "create" permissions. Hopefully, it will be something like "Role: users". If not, then you'll be best advised to exactly that to it.

Finally, add your customer into that role. They'll be able to use that project and none of the others you have (unless you've used "anyone" in the permissions)

for q3

Jira does not have "restrict user to view only their issues" off-the-shelf, but there is a flag you can set to enable it (it's disabled at first because you can cause problems if used incorretly, so by having it off, Atlassian force you to look for it and understand it before using it). See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Current+Reporter+Browse+Project+Permission

I do not know if you can enable it on OnDemand

Suggest an answer