Set icon per resolution type for subtasks

Daniela Scheiwe
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2012

Dear Community,

we're using subtasks for test-tracking. When the tester has finished his task, he can set the resolution to "test failed".

What I want is that in the screen where you see the subtasks of a main tasks, the icon should change depending on the resolution type the tester selected.

In the example below, task #2 is the testing task with the resolution set to "failed", yet the icon is green (of course). So my question is: Is there a way to change that icon depending on a status/resolution type? Or do you have any other suggestions how to make visible that the test failed?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2012

You will need to do some coding to do that - you'll need to amend the templates that display issue types (in the core of Jira)

Daniela Scheiwe
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2012

Okay so my assumption that this icon is nothing that I can set in the administration area was correct. I will have a look into the templates then, thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2012

Yes, I'm afraid so. Icons are set by issue type, not resolution, and that's it, there's no other way to configure it.

Fortunately, the velocity is moderately simple - I'm pretty sure you can do what you need by just editing some of the templates, rather than having to hack a load of Java.

3 votes
Rebecca Velasco January 24, 2013

The icon displayed above for your subtask is not the "Issue Type" icon, it's a "Status" icon and status icons can be modified in the Administration screens.

Assuming you have ADMIN permissions, from the JIRA Menu bar at the top of your screen click "Issues" to display it's drop-down list. Halfway down the list, under "Issue Attributes" you will find "Statuses". Click Statuses to display the full list of available statuses. Assuming your tasks workflow includes a step to FAIL issues, it's in this list where you can choose icons for each status from a list of JIRA standard icons or you can point to another outside of JIRA.

Hope that helps.

Suggest an answer