Set default value for linked issue

Todd November 16, 2017

Hi,

I have noticed that the "link issue" field defaults to blocks. I think this is because in the Issue Linking section in the Admin Centre this is the first Link Type as they seem to be sorted alphabetically, but there does not seem to be a way yo reorder these (as there is in almost every other JIRA config screen). As a result most users do not realise and are setting the majority of links to blocks in error.

Is there a way to set the default value to something else (in my case relates to) to avoid this happening?

I am currently migrating from an On Premise JIRA to the cloud version and I have noticed in our On Premise version that although they are in the same order in the Issue Linking admin (alphabetical) the default values when the field is displayed on screens does seem to have been changed. As I did not set up the On Premise version I do not know how this has been achieved.

Any guidance would be much appreciated as I can already see this spiralling out of control in our cloud instance!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2017

Hey Todd,

You can configure the order of how the "Linked Issue" field is displayed.

Full instructions can be found here (at the bottom): https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/configuring-issue-linking-802593137.html

Hope this helps,

Tyler

Todd November 22, 2017

Thanks for the response Tyler.

My issue (which reading back was probably not particularly clear) is that I want Relates to be the default value when creating or editing an issue. Not so worried about the order in the view issue screen.

Having completed further testing though it would seem that your last selection persists - so next time you link (even if it is a completely different issue) it will show the previous Link Type selected. I think this is OK for me, assuming users remember to select the right Link Type, they probably need to make sure they pay attention!

Like # people like this
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2017

Hey Todd,

Thanks for the clarification!

Tyler

16 votes
Nick Baskakov March 18, 2019

I had a similar question and I think I have just discovered a simple solution for that. The NAMES of the Issue Link Types actually determine how Descriptions appear in the drop-down list. So, if you simply edit the Name field of the Links on Issue Admin page and put numbers in front of them it will put the descriptions in the same order. The Descriptions don't need any numbers so your user interface and your existing reporting will not suffer from this minor change.

This is how it looks in our Jira now:
2019-03-19_14h23_24.png

Before doing that "causes" appeared first in the the drop-down list. Now it looks like this:

2019-03-19_14h05_05.png

Ido Achrak January 2, 2020

easy solution, quick and to the point. thanks!!

Like # people like this
Snezhana Dimova April 9, 2020

The solution was very quick and easy. Thanks!

Like # people like this
Mauro Guercia July 9, 2020

Exactly what I needed! Thanks for the easy solution!

Like Nick Baskakov likes this
ginta.purina August 19, 2020

Thanks, Nick!

Like Nick Baskakov likes this
Eddy KENTSA NLEP November 23, 2020

Worked for me perfectly !

Nice

Resh January 18, 2021

Thanks for this! I've added a 'Not Applicable' but it doesn't show as number 1. Any idea why?

Alex March 31, 2021

Mhmm, nice idea, but this way I can't get any "inward description" to be on top, right?

(e.g. 'is caused by')

Chris Spacagna July 22, 2021

Do you know if there is a way to do this for a specific jira project rather than at the system level?

Like Kurt Dodrill likes this
NATARAJAN JAYARAJ October 11, 2022

Good one and quick :) thanks!

1 vote
Dean Kadar October 19, 2022

Hi all,

I'll appreciate your help with a similar issue relates to the linked issue TYPE:

For specific status change (from any status to "X") I need to set the linked issue TYPE to be "Y" (A new type that I've created). I don't want to allow users to select another option but the "Y" when status is changing to "X" for Customer's bug.

In other words, when a customer bug's status is changing to "X" I want to enforce the linked issue's type to be "Y".

0 votes
Shane Murphy November 1, 2018

Hi Todd,

Did you ever figure this out? I'm struggling with the same issue right now.

Shane

Suggest an answer