Set assignee based on a custom field value

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2014

I have installed scriptrunner as I believe it is necessary for me to set the Assignee based on a customfield value. If custom field, Value, is set to 1, I want to assign john.smith. If custom field, Value, is set to 2, i want to assign betty.williams, etc.

I looked at this answer https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/140304/groovy-post-script-to-assign-a-user-based-on-a-customfield

And am trying to interpret to know what I need to replace in terms of the custom field, custom field value, and assigee. Please bear with me as I haven't done coding in almost 10 years!

Is the reference to CustomField the ID or the field name? I would assume ID since that is unique, but it's not clear. Same with value - I would think I would put in the actual value name as I don't recall seeing the ID in the URL. For assignee, I'm confused as to what to replace.

Appreciate any ideas/assistance.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2014

My advice - always refer cutom fields by IDs and this worked for me in one of my scripts -

customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject("customfield_11550");

So if you go to the link you have shared you can use the ID of custom field and you can know the ID of any custom field by going to it's edit screen and the ID wouuld be part of the URL.

Suggest an answer