Set Remaining Estimate to Original Estimate on creation

Zach Newman July 15, 2014

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the time tracking fields - but on issue creation shouldn't they be the same? I want to require an Original Estimate, but having to fill out two fields with the same information to start is just a waste of time.

How can I set Remaining Estimate to the same value when Original Estimate when created?

2 answers

0 votes
Dirk Bromberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2014

Hello,

Is there a way to disable the feature that an value for the remaining estimate is automatic set as original estimate?

I want to leave the original on subtasks empty or as 0.

Thanks!

0 votes
Nic Brough (Adaptavist) July 15, 2014

Possibly! It does work that way for some people, but not others.

The way it's built now is along the lines of:

• User creates an issue and guesses it's going to take (say) 8 hours - original estimate
  • Developer comes along, does 2 hours and logs 2 hours
  • But also does the "sharp intake of breath" thing and says "not a chance, that's at least 32 hours work", so they set the remaining estimate to 30 hours.

That immediately gives you information along the lines of "User doesn't have a good estimate". If you set remaining estimate to original estimate when you create an issue, you won't do any damage to anything, but it is less obvious that the estimates are off.

So, there are places which do what you want, with a quick post-function. It works for them.

Zach Newman July 15, 2014

But when you are on the create screen you have to fill out both if time-tracking is required. When will original not equal remaining at creation time?

Like zach.l likes this
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2014

There are a couple of cases I can think about. Some customers have estimates done by a special team (around the project manager, for instance). Because they do not work primarily in JIRA, their estimate (original) might differ from the remaining (developer)

Suggest an answer