Set Remaining Estimate to Original Estimate on creation

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the time tracking fields - but on issue creation shouldn't they be the same? I want to require an Original Estimate, but having to fill out two fields with the same information to start is just a waste of time.

How can I set Remaining Estimate to the same value when Original Estimate when created?

2 answers

Possibly! It does work that way for some people, but not others.

The way it's built now is along the lines of:

• User creates an issue and guesses it's going to take (say) 8 hours - original estimate
  • Developer comes along, does 2 hours and logs 2 hours
  • But also does the "sharp intake of breath" thing and says "not a chance, that's at least 32 hours work", so they set the remaining estimate to 30 hours.

That immediately gives you information along the lines of "User doesn't have a good estimate". If you set remaining estimate to original estimate when you create an issue, you won't do any damage to anything, but it is less obvious that the estimates are off.

So, there are places which do what you want, with a quick post-function. It works for them.

But when you are on the create screen you have to fill out both if time-tracking is required. When will original not equal remaining at creation time?

There are a couple of cases I can think about. Some customers have estimates done by a special team (around the project manager, for instance). Because they do not work primarily in JIRA, their estimate (original) might differ from the remaining (developer)

Hello,

Is there a way to disable the feature that an value for the remaining estimate is automatic set as original estimate?

I want to leave the original on subtasks empty or as 0.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,788 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot