Set Project based on Custom field value

Valeriia Iuzhakova November 1, 2017

Hi,

We are going to add cross-projects components list to Jira (Cloud) by adding a global custom field. This raises the additional question of whether there is a possibility to define project based on the custom field value? It doesn't seem to be, but maybe I missed something, like post-function, add-on, etc.?

Any ideas?

2 answers

0 votes
Valeriia Iuzhakova November 2, 2017

@Alexey Matveev@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- thank you for the advices, I found it really helpful for decision-making!

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2017

Hello,

Why you can not let a user choose from the project field? Or an issue could be created in multiple projects if you choose a value from the custom field? 

If a value from the custom field corresponds striclty to a single project then the custom field is redundant.

Hi @Alexey Matveev,

The reason why we don't want to do it, because most of the users have no idea what project the component belongs to. In this way, using the global list of components, we want to enable any user to create a ticket and address it to the correct project. NB! The default category field should be preserved and the additional custom field should be used on top.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2017

I would consider moving to Jira Service Desk. I think it would help you with your requirements. You can define as many request types as you want there (that would be the components) and connect them to certain issuetypes and certain customfield values. It will be one project but the user does not have to know about internals of the project.

@Alexey Matveev Thanks for advice, this might be an option if we did not have to adhere to the current structure, but at the moment we need to use different existing projects.

If any ideas how could this be solved in the current conditions?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2017

@Valeriia Iuzhakova

All solutions I can see are akward and would require too complicated customizations which would be difficult to mantain.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2017

I've had this request recently as part of a project, and the only answer we could get to was "create all issues in a dummy project and then write a horribly complex automatic move-issue-automatically" process.  We went with Service Desk instead, as it simplifies things for the users so they don't need to know the project.

Suggest an answer