Set JIRA Agile Estimate on issue creation?

I'm wondering if it is possible to set the Agile Estimate on issue creation.  Our Web Team uses t-shirt sizes but JIRA Agile needs numeric values for calculations, so my thought was to do the conversion in Groovy.  

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

That's exactly what I'd do - write a post-function script that does a simple "case (t-shirt size), set estimate appropriately"  (I'd leave the estimate off the create screen so the users do not enter it initially only to have it overwritten by the post-function)

Thanks for the quick response Nic.  I am brand new to scripting in JIRA so I'm not entirely confident on where the Estimate lives.  Is it the same as greenhopper.jira.fields.OriginalEstimate?

Also, the user enters in the t-shirt size into a customer Story Points fields, so my plan is to read that value and then set the Estimate appropriately.  I feel confident that I'll find my custom field in com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields

To set the estimate, I'd just use issue.setOriginalEstimate(x) (I can't remember what X's units are - seconds or milliseconds) To get the Story points field (it's still a custom field, even though Agile does clever stuff with it), I'd use the code from Jamie's docs (just to save you working it out from scratch) - https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Post+Functions+With+Comments#PostFunctionsWithComments-Copyonefieldtoanotherusingregexp

Great. Thanks so much for your help!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,711 views 17 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you