Set Assignee as User Selected from People Picker

Corey Thokle June 1, 2017

I'm new to JIRA Cloud and I'm hoping there is a simple answer to this simple question without the use of third-party add-ons:

1) When creating an issue, prompt a screen for the user to select a person from People Picker A (custom field).

2) Upon submission, the issue enters a state of 'New'. From there, if the user selects 'Submit for Approval', I want to set the assignee to the user they selected in the 'People Picker A' list.

How would I go about doing this? I'm not seeing the ability to use a post function to set the assignee as the user selected in the People Picker.

Thanks in advance.

3 answers

1 vote
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2017

Hi Corey,

I know you said "without a plugin" but I don't know of a way without one.  Check your Manage Add-ons page.  (Admin > Add-ons or yourjiraurl.com/plugins/servlet/upm.)

See if "Suite Utilities for JIRA" (sometimes also listed as "JIRA Suite Utilities") is already installed.  It's there in my Cloud instance however, I can't remember if I added it or it came pre-installed.   Also see if it's already there but just needs to be enabled.  

This plugin has a post function called "Copy Value From Other Field." I've never tried copying specifically from a user picker field type, but I've done it with a text field for example.  I assume it would work the same way.  Worth a try.

More on this plugin here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.googlecode.jira-suite-utilities/server/overview

Hope this helps,

Rachel Wright

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2017
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2017

Rachel, 

we have a lot of workflows that copy user from a user picker field to the assignee field with Suite Utilities. This works like a charm :-) 

Corey Thokle June 5, 2017

JIRA Support has just enabled the 'Copy Value From Other Field' & 'Update Issue Custom Field' post functions on our Cloud Account.

Back to the root problem...

If I have a custom field (user picker or text field, whichever is easier) on my Create Issue Screen, how would I take the values from that field and map it to a specfic set of approvers?  For example, if 'Value A' was selected, send to 'Approvers A', if 'Value B' was selected, send to 'Approvers B'.

Looking forward to hearing back.

0 votes
Corey Thokle June 6, 2017

JIRA Support has just enabled the 'Copy Value From Other Field' & 'Update Issue Custom Field' post functions on our Cloud Account.

Back to the root problem...

If I have a custom field (user picker or text field, whichever is easier) on my Create Issue Screen, how would I take the values from that field and map it to a specfic set of approvers?  For example, if 'Value A' was selected, send to 'Approvers A', if 'Value B' was selected, send to 'Approvers B'.

Looking forward to hearing back.

0 votes
Corey Thokle June 1, 2017

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  It appears we have the JIRA Suite Utilities under Add-on's but it shows 0 of 24 modules enabled.  Not sure if I have the ability to enable it.

See attached screenshot.

Regards,

Coreyjira_screenshot.png

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2017

The only way to enable the very few 'server' plugins that exist in Cloud these days is via a support request. Enabling and disabling plugins is strenous for an application under load, so it doesn't surprise me that they'd do it that way.

Suggest an answer