Session Time out when using SSO with Google, how to prevent it from happening?

alain c March 24, 2016

Hello,

We are using the "OpenID Authentication for JIRA" with our Google account.

Users not using SSO to connect to JIRA they are not experiencing any issue. Users using the SSO to login they are very often kicked out with session timeout.

Can you help us?

Thank you.

6 answers

0 votes
Schell Games September 13, 2017

Has there been a resolution to this? We're experiencing the same thing with Google SSO.  Jira session timeout set to 480, tomcat session timeout set to 30.

Pawel from HeroCoders
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 16, 2017

What plugin version do you use? It's been resolved for some time - currently plugin uses remember me functionality so session/login should stay active for long time.

Schell Games September 18, 2017

My bad, Pawel - I was googling for a resolution to this same problem when I found this thread, but we're using Google SSO by AppFusions, not OpenID Authentication for JIRA.  Sorry for the confusion.  

Pawel from HeroCoders
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 18, 2017

Thanks for clarification!

0 votes
alain c April 5, 2016

No we are not using Crowd.

Schell Games September 13, 2017

Has there been a resolution to this? We're experiencing the same thing with Google SSO.  Jira session timeout set to 480, tomcat session timeout set to 30.

0 votes
Pawel from HeroCoders
Marketplace Partner
April 5, 2016

Any chance you're using Crowd with JIRA? I just noticed there's additional setting in Crowd for session timeout.

0 votes
alain c March 28, 2016

It’s a standalone installation .

In WEB-INF/web.xml file I have:

<session-timeout>2880</session-timeout>

In my conf/web.xml

<session-timeout>30</session-timeout>

There is a proxy to redirect the http domain to https and a routing rule to redirect port 443 to 8443.

Thank you.

shai kam May 27, 2020

Hi Alain,

What is the difference between this file - WEB-INF/web.xml  and this file  conf/web.xml ? 

Need to change 2 files if I want Increase times?

0 votes
Pawel from HeroCoders
Marketplace Partner
March 26, 2016

Actually, I'm trying to investigate that and I'm not sure how this happens. By default JIRA has session timeout set to 5 hours so it should not be a problem, but I noticed that Tomcat's defaults are different 30 minutes.

Now I need to ask you - how did you deploy JIRA - first what version do you use, is it a standalone installation with its own Tomcat or did you deploy it other way?

What settings for session-timeout do you have in conf/web.xml and atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/web.xml (should be 30 and 300 respectively).

Do you use any reverse proxy in front of JIRA?

0 votes
Pawel from HeroCoders
Marketplace Partner
March 25, 2016

Thanks for raising this. I'm working on a fix.

Suggest an answer