• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Servicedesk mail handler fails with Exception when MailHandlerWorker handles message: com.atlassian.jira.util.dbc.Assertions$NullArgumentException: key should not be null!

Servicedesk mail handler fails with Exception when MailHandlerWorker handles message: com.atlassian.jira.util.dbc.Assertions$NullArgumentException: key should not be null!

Domenic Garraffo December 9, 2015

Our service desk was humming along happily untill some one configured the "Time to tear your hair out" option. Now every e-mailed request is rejected with the following: "Exception when MailHandlerWorker handles message: com.atlassian.jira.util.dbc.Assertions$NullArgumentException: key should not be null!" There is nothing i have been to find on either this site or via the grand oracle google to help. 

2 answers

0 votes
Domenic Garraffo December 10, 2015

The "Time to tear your hair out" option was intended as a joke, no change was actually made. The mail handler in question is the built in handler provided by the service desk module, so there is very little to change even if we were so inclined. Nic have you run across this error in the context of the service desk and its "email channel" configuration before? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2015

I know it was a joke, but it did imply that you've changed some setting in JIRA! The thing is, something somewhere *has* changed. You weren't getting an error and now you are. Either the emails have changed format, or there's a change of settings in JIRA that causes this. My best guess is that the target project has had a setting changed - I've seen a similar (but not identical) error happen when the reporter is mandatory in a project and the email handler can't match the email address to a reporter. Check that the handler does have a default mapping and the project config for the reporter. (Also, it might be indicating duplicate entries in your user directory, according to google)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2015

I'd suggest changing the "time to tear your hair out" option back to what it was before.

I'm afraid the error message is too vague to tell us what is going on - we can tell that an email arrives and it's not handling something in there, but all we can really do is ask you to check the config for the mail handlers is valid.  It looks like it's trying to do some sort of mapping on something in incoming mail and finding nothing in the JIRA config to match it.  (i.e. lookup on something that isn't there). 

Suggest an answer