Servicedesk - Sender not registered in JIRA. Using configured default reporter

Deleted user January 1, 2015

Hello all

I hope you have all had a lovely Christmas and new year. I am going nuts trying to get servicedesk to create new customers from the emails they send, but for the past 3 days, I cannot figure it out and I would hate for it to be just a missing tick box somewhere. I do not want jira users to be created, only customers, so they can receive notifications. This is a clean install from the latest build as of last week. So I would be veryyyyyyyyy grateful if anyone could help. Below is the cofig and what I have done.

Best wishes

Nima

============
1 - Error in log file:
error Sender(s) [customer@example.com]not registered in JIRA. Using configured default reporter
1.a I don't understand this. Why does it say "not registered in JIRA"? The point is to create a customer account without creating a jira account

2 - I have followed Atlassian documentation and ensured Jira is in public mode (general configuration)
     2.a - Also in Addons->Jira servicedesk->configuration

3 - In the servicedesk (only have one), I have enabled the option "Anyone can sign up for a customer account on my Customer Portal" (servicedesk->People->customers->lock icon on top right

4 - Emails work well. they are downloaded successfully and issues are generated

5 - Email requests are currently on (servicedesk->settings->Email settings)

6 - Mail handler setup as follows:
     6.a - Handler = "Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue"
     6.b - Create users = NOT ticked (I do not want jira users, only customers)

7 - Project permission - in the servicedesk project, I added the "any group" to the "create issue" permission list

8 - drank tons of coffee, searched the web, cursed computers and myself, shouted at Jira servicedesk

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2015

Nima,

Actually, I just tested this and unregistered users should be able to raise issues. But you should not edit / create handlers in the Incoming Mail option. JIRA Service Desk has a particular configuration scheme and the 'handler' should be created in the E-mail Settings option.

Also, the documentation is confusing as it's contradicting itself. I'll raise a request to fix it.

Old answer:

That's because users must be already registered to be able to send e-mails. Differently than JIRA handlers, the Service Desk Mail will not create customers. As it's stated in the documentation:

Every customer must have an account to create requests. Email messages sent from unregistered email addresses are not processed.

Ref: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/SERVICEDESK/Setting+up+the+email+channel

-- Pedro

Deleted user January 2, 2015

Hi Pedro

thank you for the reply. How can what you say be correct? The same document clearly states:

==========================================

User accounts created from email requests

When customers send an email for the first time, new user accounts are created automatically for them if your service desk allows public signup. For information about public signup, see Configuring public signup .

User accounts for service desk customers are free and do not count towards your license

=========================================================

Please let me know

Best wishes

Nima

Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2015

My bad. I will edit this answer.

No worries smile. Any idea what my problem is?

Best wishes

Thanks Pedro So let's make sure I understand this well. currently: 1 - I have setup an IMAP mail server under "system->Mail->Incoming mail->PoP/IMAP Mail servers" 2 - I have setup a mail handler under "system->Mail->Incoming mail->Mail handlers" with the handler "create a new issue or add a comment" and assigned to my "helpdesk" project. There is also the built in mail handler setup by servicedesk assigned to no project Are you suggesting that I should delete my mail handler? I had the same problem before I created this mail handler, but I will try again and let you know in a minute. Best wishes Nima

Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
January 2, 2015

Yes, Service Desk will handle all of this for you, on it's interface. Remove the handler and then to go Email Settings on your Service Desk, then from there you will be able to configure it properly. ;) No need to make any changes in the Incoming Mail.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events