Service desk not installed?

Guido Lepping July 26, 2017

Hello Community and Atlassian Support,

I am experiencing an issue that JIRA shows Service Desk is not installed on the Configuration -> Application page.

in the meantime I used the Log Analyzer and tried some things which could have solved the problem but it didn't:

It would be nice if anybody could help. The main question is: how can I show some logs except copying a long chain into this topic?

I hope this is not because

'com.atlassian.labs.hipchat.hipchat-for-jira-plugin' - 'HipChat for JIRA'  failed to load.

is shown in the logs, don't want this plugin and it was long time working after I uninstalled it.

PS: it is very bad that support for starter licenses has been stopped. I used the "send Help request" function before....entered my long text asking for help and got a case closed answer (JSP-391103)

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Guido Lepping August 3, 2017

I could solve the problem myself now:

the problem was that some com.atlassian.servidesk.XXXXXX plugins were - however - not enabled. After re-enabling them via SQL command I restarted JIRA and the JIRA SD application was started and visible in Manage > Applications

pluginstate.png

Daniel Alonso August 27, 2018

What table is this?

0 votes
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2018

Hi @Guido Lepping

I thank you so much for this! It happened to me too. I'll ask Atlassian Support to avoid this problem to happen in the future. I'm marking this in my browser!

0 votes

EDIT: I could find out that this entries are written in the log.

2017-07-27 08:26:06,326 http-nio-8081-exec-13 INFO woestmar 506x2087x1 1mfuc4h 192.168.1.100,0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 /rest/plugins/1.0/com.atlassian.servicedesk.internal-base-plugin-key [c.a.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] Found dependent enabled plugins for plugins '[com.atlassian.servicedesk.internal-base-plugin]': [com.atlassian.jira-core-project-templates(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.collector.plugin.jira-issue-collector-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.ext.calendar(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.gadgets(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.jira-core-reports-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.jira-issue-link-applinks-common-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.jira-issue-link-confluence-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.jira-issue-link-remote-jira-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.jira-issue-nav-components(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.jira-issue-nav-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.jira-project-config-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-issue-navigator(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.jira-quick-edit-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.jira-share-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.jira-software-application(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.jira-view-issue-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.mobile(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.bamboo(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.plugins.inline-create.jira-inline-issue-create-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-admin-helper-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-bitbucket-connector-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-development-integration-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-dnd-attachment-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-importers-bitbucket-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-importers-github-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-importers-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-importers-redmine-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-importers-trello-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-software-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-transition-triggers-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-workflow-designer(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.plugins.webhooks.jira-webhooks-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.plugins.workflow.sharing.jira-workflow-sharing-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.plugins.workinghours(MANDATORY), com.atlassian.jira.project-templates-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jira.rest(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.jirafisheyeplugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.labs.hipchat.hipchat-for-jira-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.mywork.mywork-jira-provider-plugin(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.plugins.helptips.jira-help-tips(OPTIONAL), com.atlassian.servicedesk(MANDATORY), com.atlassian.servicedesk.servicedesk-lingo-plugin(MANDATORY), com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira(OPTIONAL)].  Disabling...

On the Atlassian Help Page it says I should check the pluginstate...the thing is: these plugins do not exist, but why?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/service-desk-installed-but-not-enabled-found-dependent-enabled-plugins-for-plugin-800703376.html

is it safe to change my service desk project to another project type, restart JIRA, reinstall service desk and change back to project type "service desk"?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2017

The add-ons might not exist because you have been messing with the file system.  Hard to say without knowing exactly what you have been trying.

However, it does sound like everything is runnning now.  So yes, it is fine to change project types, and re-install Service Desk (via manage applications!) and change the project type again if you need to.

Guido Lepping July 27, 2017

well i reverted my changes with the 3 jar files as mentioned earlier. Did you look the help page I mentioned where it was explained?

in my log extraction there are just 3 mandatory plugins:

com.atlassian.jira.plugins.workinghours(MANDATORY),
 com.atlassian.servicedesk(MANDATORY),
 com.atlassian.servicedesk.servicedesk-lingo-plugin(MANDATORY)

working hours exists and started

servicedesk exists but not started

lingo exists but not started.

the question or fear is when changing my project type can I change it back to "service desk" and the "project" will work like before?

Guido Lepping July 27, 2017

secondly I could find an old entry:

http-nio-8081-exec-13 WARN      [internal.utils.context.CustomerContextServiceImpl] Unable to flush permissions cache
org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.ServiceProxyDestroyedException: service proxy has been destroyed

which appears once and never again during trying reinstallation

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2017

>the question or fear is when changing my project type can I change it back to "service desk" and the "project" will work like before

Yes, I answered that before.

I'm really not sure what is going on now, as there's only snippets of information here, and not the stuff we probably need to see.

I take it you have restarted JIRA and then tried to install the Service Desk again, via the application manager?

0 votes

I restored the JIRA program folder from backup now but I think my little mistake was that it will be repaired through an update from 7.4.0 to 7.4.1

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2017

>deleting jira-servicedesk-application-X.X.X.jar

Argh!  Why are you messing around with the file system? 

First, you should shut down JIRA and undo all the damage you have done to the installation.  Put it back the way you found it.

Second, restart it.  I would also re-index at this point, but you could leave that until last if you want.

Third, log in as an admin, go to Application management and add Service Desk from there.

Hi Nic, thx for your answer.

Well it was because the Atlassian help said it:

JIRA Service Desk Fails to Start with a Timeout error after its Installation

to your mentioned points:

1. did not try yet but can restore it from backup
  2. done
  3. that's what I tried first, "reinstall" while it says it is not installed

Suggest an answer