Service desk email reporters being added to license users

Soley Gudmundsdottir November 21, 2017

Hi all.

We have a Service desk for all employees but only have a limited amount of active users for our JIRA software.

When an employee sends an email with a request to the service desk email, the service desk automatically responds by sending an email confirming an account created and uses up one of our licenses.

Most of these employees will never use JIRA software other than the Service desk for help requests so this is a complete waste of a license.

This does not happen when a request is raised through the customer portal.

My question is: Are there any settings or permissions that we are overlooking that control this behaviour?

1 answer

0 votes
Maurice
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2017

Hi Soley,

It sounds like this may be that your Service Desk customers are also employees and may be being automatically added to a group in Jira which has application access.

How is your Jira configured for user management? Using Crowd, Active Directory, etc?

It may be that these users belong to a user directory group which has application access to Jira, so when the account is created it automatically gets assigned application access.

If you find a user profile for one of these users, do you see them belonging to any groups in particular?

Best regards,
Brian 

Soley Gudmundsdottir November 21, 2017

Hi Brian and thank you for your reply!

I have discovered my problem. It is a little bit embarrassing to admit but I overlooked a checkbox in my mail handler settings that sets Create user from unknown email as default. I have unchecked that and now new users are not created. 

All the best,

Soley

Suggest an answer