Service Desk with JEMH

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2016

Maybe this has been asked before, but can't find the thread for this. Currently, our client has a Service Desk with the inbuilt email requests turned on.

But the inbuilt email handler for JIRA Service Desk doesn't retain the formatting of emails coming from Outlook. Had a look around, and noticed that JEMH has the ability to retain these formatting.

However, I'm a bit confused by the configuration setup of JEMH with JSD. If I'm not mistaken, JEMH uses the JIRA Mail Handler to process incoming mails. Does that mean I would need to turn off the JSD email requests setting, and solely use the JEMH email handler? Or retain the setting?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2016

Hi Justin,

JEMH and JSD mail handlers are peers, so if JSD is enabled JEMH cannot notify the same people 'differently' without duplication (from JSD).

> However, I'm a bit confused by the configuration setup of JEMH with JSD. If I'm not mistaken, JEMH uses the JIRA Mail Handler to process incoming mails.

I read this literally, so no, JEMH does not use the JIRA Mail Handler to process incoming mails, JEMH IS the Mail Handler.

JEMH can be used instead of the JSD internal handler, to get the extra features that JEMH has, however, this will of course turn off some of the integrated features like feedback on JSD emails.  Unfortunately JSD doesn't expose this to 3rd party addons so JEMH has implemented a similar thing (Directive Sets to enable one click issue state update in a secure way, like a customer satisfaction custom field that can drive JIRA dashboard gadgets)

> Does that mean I would need to turn off the JSD email requests setting, and solely use the JEMH email handler? Or retain the setting?

JEMH and JSD can co-exist to solve different notification requirements:

Projects: JEMH can be configured to just generate notifications for specific projects (i.e you were totally focused on JSD, then this is moot).

Audience Types: JEMH can notify anyone with a JIRA account (eg fully interactive users or Portal users), referred to by JEMH as JIRA users. In addition JEMH can notify email users without any account at all.  These are 'lightweight' contacts who don't use JSD Portal at all, eg JSD and Portal can be used by Company people, and Agents, but combining JEMH, can also support 'everyone else' via email alone, and not create 000's of portal users that interact just the once.

So, if all your users are to be Portal users, then you must choose either JSD or JEMH for outbound (and possibly inbound) email handling. If you want to use specific projects / service desks with JEMH only, that can't be done, as JSD does not offer fine grained control:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-72https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-2284

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2016

Hi @Andy Brook,

Thanks for the answer. Here's a more in-depth information on the scenario I'm faced with:

1. There is only one JIRA Service Desk project (project name is SD) that will be using JEMH (to cater for the inbound Outlook-format handling)
  2. Before the installation of JEMH, the SD project has an email address itsupport@gmail.com for receiving emails and create requests.
  3. Any requests created from emails sent to that address from an Outlook client will clear the formatting of the emails. I believe that JEMH can help to fix that.
  4. Installed JEMH on the client's JIRA instance, and referred to the Create Issues (JIRA Service Desk 3+) documentation for configuration.
  5. Wanted to test the config, but confused about the setup:
    1. itsupport@gmail.com has yet to be disabled from the SD project for email requests.
    2. Confused on whether an email sent to itsupport@gmail.com will be processed by JEMH or JIRA Service Desk, if the JSD email requests setting is left enabled.

Do you think my configuration for JEMH is sufficient, or there are still things to do?

Hope this clears things up. I went through the documentation and realized that it's not easy to follow. My first time playing with this add-on. smile

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2016

> 3.Any requests created from emails sent to that address from an Outlook client will clear the formatting of the emails. I believe that JEMH can help to fix that.

Yes, JEMH can do a lot on inbound processing of content to tidy it up etc.  for this, you would need to disable the JSD mail handler, as discussed above.

> 5. Wanted to test the config, but confused about the setup

You've not yet clarified what your audience is, as described above, for this answer I'll assume that all your participants have JSD portal accounts.

a) If you want inbound mail to be processed by JEMH, setup a incoming JEMH mailhandler for this, and dont configure a JSD mail handler

b) Handling outbound notification is now a choice, either you want to use JSD's flavour or JEMH, with the extra facilities that it provides.  With the case being considered as all users being portal users, JEMH Event Listener would be setup with a Project Mapping for your Service Desk project, with all the events enabled as needed for the JIRA User notifications, you'd select the notification scheme, include requet participants etc.

> I went through the documentation and realized that it's not easy to follow.

The JEMH documentation is usually specific about a feature, or a particular problem to solve, it doesn't necessarily help a newcomer with multi-point requirements, that's what our support channel is for wink 

There is an integration guide for JEMH and JSD:

In depth multi point questions are best dealt with through support channels than forums, if my next response is insufficient please log targeted queries by mailing us or by creating an issue after reg:

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2016

Hi @Andy Brook,

Thanks for the pointers! I managed to get it all worked out.

Yes, JEMH can do a lot on inbound processing of content to tidy it up etc.  for this, you would need to disable the JSD mail handler, as discussed above.

This really help me, disabling the email requests option in JSD and just using the JEMH Mail Handler to process incoming mails work like a charm! laugh

You've not yet clarified what your audience is, as described above, for this answer I'll assume that all your participants have JSD portal accounts.

Sorry, forgot to mention this: yes, emails that come to JSD are from users that have portal access. If they don't have any account in JIRA, then the JEMH handler created them nicely. smile

Do you think there's an option in JEMH to use the JEditor renderer to translate incoming emails from Outlook to JSD? I tried the option of setting the processing mode to HTML, but it loses some of the email formattings.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2016

Glad its all working out for you smile

>  If they don't have any account in JIRA, then the JEMH handler created them nicely.

Yes, but remember about the auto-joining of a 'portal-users' group which should be (a) in your Customer role and (b) granted all the requisite permissions, notable CREATE_COMMENTS and EDIT_OWN_COMMENTS required to work around JSD oddities.  There is a specific condition in the Profile > User section to only auto join 'when the user has no groups' (i.e.they are portal users who have joined directly, not previously auto-created through JEMH)

> Do you think there's an option in JEMH to use the JEditor renderer to translate incoming emails from Outlook to JSD?

No, JEMH does a HTML to wiki markup conversion, and can translate simple structures into their markup form eg <code> ==> \{code} blocks.  Supporting 'write through' of HTML into descriptions/comments has been requested on a few occasions previously but this complicates reply processing (how to delimit replies) and would specifically require JEMH to do things differently on the way out as well. JEMH is complex enough without trying to go there.

Look at the Profile > Email > HTML... section, there are lots of things to enable.  Yes, nested tables suck, and yes, enabling font styling works but will complicate your regular expressions to match the 'generated' \{color} markup in the HTML-converted wiki markup content (for mails sent as HTML with that styling and separately for mails sent as TEXT without same)

Dawn Fama October 7, 2020

Our situation is slightly different.  We have on prem instance of JIRA and JSD and also have JEMH.  We are using an MS shared mailbox for JSD (outbound only).  All requests are manually created from the portal, no issue creation from email.

All our customers are added to JSD, no auto sign up.

I'm assuming the email configured in JSD is for the JSD automation notifications.  

How would we make it so any replies to the email notifications get added as comments to the issue?  Currently, they just go to the shared mailbox configured in JSD and sit in the inbox.

I'm puzzled how to make it so any replies to the JSD email notifications would also add comments to the issue and notify agents?

thank you

Suggest an answer