Service Desk for an MSP

todd youngbauer December 19, 2016

I am wondering if anyone is using Service Desk for thier MSP business?  If so, do you have one project for Help Desk ticketing etc or did you create a project for each client?

Not sure the best way to deploy.  Although I could see multiple depending on the level of support for the client.

For example a platinum, god and silver project depending on the client.

Any help or opinions are welcome.

Thanks

Todd

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2016

I've seen it done several ways.  Broadly though, there's two basic approaches

1. Set up the SLAs to include an indication of the service level any issue was on (there was some scripting to set it from the customer's details)
  2. Have different projects and service desks for each level
todd youngbauer December 19, 2016

Thanks,

What do you see making the most sense? We have a ticketing system we are looking to possibly replace.  So is the easiest to just have one project for support and all tickets flow into that project?  And if so how do you make sure that clients cannot see each other?  Right now we have multiple clients and they cannot see each others issues etc.

Thanks

Todd

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2016

I tend towards the first option myself, because it makes more sense (to me, I should point out.  I'm not a service desk manager, so I'm not highly qualified to comment).  Projects and Service Desks will tend to be organised along team lines, and will normally be supporting many different users, who will have different expectations.  So crafting the SLA queries to include the agreed levels makes a lot of sense.

I would tend to start with a look at what you're supporting, and have one service desk for each very generalised area.  For example, one company I know runs three service desks - one for the software they are developing, one for their HR team interactions and a third for their internal building services.  The three teams all need totally different request types and rules.  The software service desk feeds into many projects, but the HR and Building ones are a lot more simple in terms of organisations.

By default, JIRA Service Desk isolates your customers from each other.  You can group them into organisations (so you could set up my lot as Adaptavist, and I would be able to see stuff other Adaptavists have raised, but see nothing that any of your other clients are doing!).  And there's flexibilty on drawing other people into requests.

Aaron Geister June 22, 2020

I am an single man MSP I see this is an older thread but thought I would start that I am also a service desk admin for a company. 

I think you only need one project and make and organization for each client's business you service. Then you can add these clients to those organization so they can only interact with each other or share from that organization. 

One project seems a lot easier to customize and keep track of then multiple. The high end learning curve and customization is much more then most MSP RMM solution. Other then billing integration and Remote support. 

But now you can use splash top with Atlassian it can become the all in one need for your shop or MSP. There are so much more integration you can use to set itup and tempo time sheets and other integrations. If you work from your own webpage you could start your invoice there and payment option then use zapier to make the automation to invoice in Jira Service desk. The sky is the limit. I am currently using syncro but thinking of just moving back to just using jira alone with any other integrations I can. For 20 per agent or user its perfect. 

Love my Atlassian. 

Like Aaron Geister likes this

Suggest an answer