Service Desk SLAs with different timezones

Romer Ventura February 16, 2017

Hello,

I am trying to find out how i can set appropriate SLAs to tickets from different geographical locations. As an agent in the US wouldnt want to get hit with SLA visitations for a ticket created in the UK..

Would i need to have multiple goals for each timezone i have, or is JIRA smart enough to automatically calculate the agent's timezone and the customer's timezone?

2 answers

0 votes
Romer Ventura February 16, 2017

Well, i have setup 4 regions as Companies, and i could target them to do the selection. But i am wondering if the way people is doing it, it is to have 1 metric with X number of goals with a different calendar to apply the time..?

For example:

• Time to first reponse:
    • 1st goal: issuetype in (.....) and  reporter in organizationMembers("US") => 24hours – US Calendar
    • 2nd goal: issuetype in (.....) and  reporter in organizationMembers("UK") => 24hours – UK Calendar
    • 3rd goal: issuetype in (.....) and  reporter in organizationMembers("Asia") => 24hours – Asia Calendar

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2017

Your suggestion would work but remember Daylight Saving Time can also have an impact on what are the support hours in a region.

Bojana Vasic September 21, 2017

Hi @Romer Ventura,

Could you please tell if your calendars (US and Asia) are set up to use different time zones or not? 

I'm bit confused, because as Phill said - 
JSD times are all based off the timezone settings on the server, so you can come across the situation where client is in UK, agent is in US and server is somewhere else!

I'm guessing that its no matter if it is 24/7 support, but what if it isn't? 

Many thanks!

Bojana Vasic September 22, 2017

Hi @Romer Ventura,

Are you using region specific time zones in your calendars?

Thanks!

Romer Ventura September 22, 2017

Hi, this is an old topic and has been revolved. But yes, each has their own calendar. 

Thanks 

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2017

Hi Romer Ventura

Not a perfect answer to your question but this blog I wrote with regard to changes in timezones and how to track the SLAs may be of use to you.

http://www.adaptavist.com/w/handling-daylight-saving-changes-in-jira-service-desk/

The first step I would do is have a (hidden) field which captures the customer timezone to determine which SLA to apply.  Remember that JSD times are all based off the timezone settings on the server, so you can come across the situation where client is in UK, agent is in US and server is somewhere else!

Suggest an answer