• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Service Desk: How can I automatically notify customers that information is required for their request or after a certain amount of time, close the issue?

Service Desk: How can I automatically notify customers that information is required for their request or after a certain amount of time, close the issue?

Deleted user December 3, 2015

I'd like a way to automate the following:

When a Service Desk Request is in 'Waiting for Customer' and has not been updated for 'n' days, the customer is notified that further information is required and if not updated in 'n' days further... ticket is closed.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to see your solutions!

Kind regards,
David 

5 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2015

Yes! We are currently doing this by manipulating SLA's. We have a couple of automation tasks that allow this to take place. The first being that any time we make a comment to the customer, it moves the ticket through the workflow into a status called "Waiting for Customer" I believe this is a canned automation script. We then have another any time the customer responds, it moves the ticket back into "Waiting for Support"

We then have an SLA created that begins counting time when a ticket enters "Waiting for Customer" status. The target for this SLA is set to 24 hours. 

Lastly, we have an automation script to auto-close the tickets. The automation is built with a trigger of "if the Waiting for Customer SLA" is breached, then the action is "advance workflow to resolved" AND "make a comment of X" where X is whatever verbiage you would like to give to your end user.

Another good practice is to use the canned automation trigger where if the end user replies on the ticket, it reopens it. This will place it back into the original techs queue.

On a side note, we are going to be implementing an "Inactive" step in the workflow that issues will transition to before actually closing. This will be purely to keep up appearances with the business that we have done our due diligence to give them adequate time and communication to respond before closing the ticket.  

Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2015

Did that help?

Romina Campos May 12, 2016

Hi Jeff! Your idea is excellent, we are trying to do this exact same thing. I only have one problem, the SLA you've described will track the total time the issue has been on the "waiting for customer" status, not the time since the last time the issue entered that state (since there's no way to reset the SLA time right?)

For example, if the SLA target is 24hs, the issue is 18hs in "waiting for customer", then the user comments and transitions to other state. The next time the issue is "waiting for customer" the SLA would be breached after only 6hs (24-18) and not the full 24. Am I right or missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2016

Romina

The SLA restarts at 0 each time it enters the "Waiting for Customer" status.

Romina Campos May 13, 2016

Thanks for your reply!

William Wynn May 8, 2018

@Do Not Use or @Jeff Tillett How does the transition to "Waiting for Customer" restart the SLA? I have not found this to be the case by default and there are open feature requests to add that feature: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-194

It seems like it can be done with a few different plugins in the server version, but none that I have found for the cloud version.

Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2018

When the logic to trigger the SLA counter is hit for a second time after stopping (not pausing), then it restarted the timer. If it comes back to that state after a pause, then it will simply keep rolling the existing time.

3 votes
Deleted user December 8, 2015

Hi Jeff,

I finally found the time to implement this yesterday so apologies for the delay in responding:

Here's my steps that might help you with your proposed 'INACTIVE' step also:

Workflow:

Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 11.14.25.png
Automation we have implemented pt.1:

Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 11.15.23.png

Further example of auto-transition based on breached SLA:Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 11.15.45.pngIs this the same way you're doing it? Has anybody else got a more elegant solution?

Kind regards, 

Jerry Ryan Ishmael July 21, 2016

Hey, 

How many of these automation relate to the 'auto notify' customer rules you created? and what are the transitions for each? i.e. from when to when do they transition within each automation?

1 vote
Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2015

That's exactly how we are doing it. No problems so far!

1 vote
Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 8, 2015

Did that get you what you needed?

0 votes
COBI.Bike Support November 28, 2016

@Jeff Tillett very nice solution, it works for us as well.

Many thanks for the idea!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events