Service Desk, Confuence and Software licensing

tyrongower August 22, 2016

Hi, 

We are looking at purchasing Service Desk, Software and Confluence. We are a team of 16 people. 

All 16 will need access to service desk to create, work on and close issues, 10 will need access to Software and all will need access to Confluence.  Am i right in saying we would need the below licenses? 

JIRA Software - 25

JIRA Service Desk - 25

Confluence - 25

We want to create a customer knowledge base for users of our software using Confluence, and have the auto search work when creating Service Desk requests. Our software is not something on the public domain so we would want users to authenticate before  viewing content. 

For this to work would we need to purchase confluence licenses for every one of our customers users?  Or can you assign read only access to users? The product quickly becomes unaffordable if we need to licence all of our customers as well. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2016
  1. Your understanding about licenses is correct.
  2. In confluence for viewing content users won't need license. People can view the content if your confluence is on a public domain accessible via internet. They don't need to login. However if you want people to login to confluence first then only they can access the content then in that case you would need licenses for all the users who would login.

Thanks, unfortunately that's the answer i was expecting. Time to keep researching products.  

3 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2016

JIRA Service Desk allows customers to view Knowledge Base articles without consuming a license. 

My understanding is; this is only true if it is publicly accessible?  If you want them to login then they need a user license, even if read only. 

Grégory Joseph
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2016

Hey Tyron,

"Free" customers (i.e your customers) won't need a license for Confluence to read KB articles through JIRA Service Desk, even if that content is not publicly accessible.

Jim C_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2016

Hi Tyron,

I recommend looking at our Linking a knowledge base documentation, it states:

If you choose to restrict viewing of the linked Confluence space to licensed users, you must grant customers a Confluence license or open your Confluence space to anonymous access. As a project administrator, you'll need to contact the administrator of your linked Confluence space to manage which agents can create and edit knowledge articles. Keep on reading to learn more about the auto-search settings you can control.

Atlassian's Product Advocates can assist in talking through the options for your use case, you can raise a ticket with them on our product Contact Us form.

Adéla Václavská January 9, 2019

Hello just reading this gives me another question, do you need a service desk licence to be able to create an issue via Confluence?

Suggest an answer