Service Desk Collaborator: Allow comment externally to customers

Sverre Moe September 14, 2016

We need to allow our JIRA users to comment externally to customers in JIRA Service Desk. Most of our JIRA users are Collaborators, because the license apply for number of Agents. The only way we have found allows this is to make our JIRA users an Service Desk Agent. We have only a 10 Agent license and there is aprox 60 users. The point of Agent license i useless if we have to make all our JIRA users an Service Desk Agent.

The permission for Collaborator seems to be in the Service Desk Collaborators role. However I cannot find in JIRA where to change this role to allow for external comment to customers.

1 answer

0 votes
Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2016

JIRA servicedesk collaborators are not permitted to comment externally, you cannot change this. Honestly the way the whole JIRA servicedesk agent licensing works is for me way to restrictive and unpractical. I'd stay away from it if i were you.

Sverre Moe September 15, 2016

Sadly, that is not an option. Our company has moved away from our own inhouse Support Web site to use the JIRA Service Desk. Previously we used this for reporting issues internally also until we moved to JIRA, while our customers still used the old portal. Now we have moved some of our customers to use Service Desk.

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2016

We have used Servicedesk for a year now and currently i'm leading the process of leaving it. We're teaching our users to create JIRA tickets the 'normal' way, not through the portal. Gives room for way more flexibility and finetuning.

I hope you find your resolution though, but for your initial question i'd say: You can't.

Suggest an answer