Server migration , JIRA 6 to JIRA 7

Calvin Cheung February 2, 2017

I am using JIAR 6.0.8, and we need to move JIRA from an old windows server into a new windows server within this month.  Can anyone guide me steps by steps about the migration?  

And should I upgrade to JIRA Software 7 during the migration?  Will the workflow changed a lot if I upgrade?  I got the JIRA Software license and using in the existing JIRA now.  

Thanks. 

Calvin

1 answer

0 votes
Guilherme Nogueira
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2017

Hi Calvin,

Technical documentation can be found in Atlassian.

• I suggest you to follow this update "line":

first update to latest 6.x version > JIRA 7 (first version) > JIRA 7 (latest version).

• keep your addons always with latest version.
  • Do not update direct to JIRA 7.3 (latest), there is many problem ralated with SD.

Calvin Cheung February 2, 2017

Hi Guilherme, 

So you suggest me to first install latest 6.x version in new server, then migrate existing data from 6.0.8 to this 6.x version,  afterward, upgrade to JIRA 7 (first version),  and finally upgrade to JIRA 7 (latest version), do I understand correct?

Can you provide me the link about installation of latest 6.x version, and the upgrade of JIRA 7 first version, so that I can follow?

Thanks. 

Calvin

Guilherme Nogueira
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2017

Yes correct!

You must to execute all those updates with your real data, try to copy your current instance to your new server (db and home directory).

About upgrading JIRA:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver070/upgrading-jira-applications-manually-749382702.html

Suggest an answer