Separate set of user management for Jira Software and Confluence

Krishna Prasad PS September 6, 2017

I would like to know how the user management is done in cloud version of Atlassian/Jira/Confluence. Does this have separate user management and user data storage for each and every application like Jira/Confluence?

Or any user data is stored under a single user data storage as Atlassian user data and these users common to Atlassian/Jira/Confluence have given permission to access the different applications?

My understanding:

Atlassian does the user management. "jira-software-users", "confluence-users", etc are some of the groups, to which when the users have been made the member, those users will be able to access the respective application like Jira or Confluence.

Please guide to clarify my points.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2017

Hello Krishna Prasad,

Cloud uses a single user management for all Cloud applications within your instance.

The groups themselves control what the user has access to. See Manage Groups for information on what those groups control. You can also manage application access directly via the User Management.

If you can let me know what points of the management are unclear to you and I can help explain it to you.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Krishna Prasad PS September 7, 2017

Thank you Shannon for the guidance.

So, does this mean, the the account the end user purchasing is Atlassian account and Jira/Confluence/etc are the licenses uner that account and all these licenses or sub-applications share the common users/groups repository among them?

If the above stated is correct and the sub-applications like Jira/Confluence accesses are provided with making the user the member of group "jira-[software]-users" or "confluence-users", is it possible to create groups (where the users will be added later) and provide this new group (and hence its members) access only to Jira or Confluence?

Please guide on this.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2017

Hi Krishna Prasad,

That is correct. The primary login uses Atlassian account and all the users under that are then given license seats to JIRA, Confluence, etc.

You can create additional groups to have access to these via User Management, but keep in mind that you still will need to keep the default groups as these settings are embedded deep in the system and cannot be changed.

I hope I have answered your question!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Krishna Prasad PS September 7, 2017

Thanks Shannon.

One more. Is it possible to create and/or categorize groups which are very specific to Jira or Confluence. Example: I need to create some groups which all are related to Jira functionality and some other groups which are related to Confluence functionality. How to achieve this? If this is achievable, is it possible to retrieve only those groups (example: project-a-group, project-b-group, etc.) which are related only to Jira functioanlity? 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 8, 2017

Krishna Prasad,

You create the groups all in the same place, but then in Application access, you can assign these groups to your products.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 9.13.41 AM.png

Then, when filtering the users, you can choose this to filter:

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 9.13.15 AM.png

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Krishna Prasad PS September 8, 2017

Thanks Shannon. Further to this access management, can we achieve this access management of groups via REST APIs? Also, is it possible to list out all groups which have access to Jira vai REST API? Kindly advise.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 8, 2017

Hi Krishna Prasad,

There are several commands in our API that will allow you to list out all groups and even find users with specific permissions.

Have a look at our REST API documentation here:

Kind Regards,
Shannon

This is so helpful, Shannon. Thank you for sharing the guide. Kindly clarify one more thing, whether I can fetch the list of groups which has some permissions (like access to Jira or access to Confluence)?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 8, 2017

Hi Krishna,

In the Application access configuration that I showed you earlier, you'll be able to see the list of groups that have access to each application.

This will be available under https://<your-instance>.atlassian.net/admin/accessconfig

Let me know if that helps you!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

I got that Shannon, through web interface I could get it. Could you please guide me whether I can retrieve group list with access permissions through REST API?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 8, 2017

Hi Krisnha,

So you want to get a list of groups with access to JIRA, correct? 

There's no official API for that, but you may be able to use the Developer Tools console in your browser when running the same action within the browser to determine if there's an Internal API that does it.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Thank you  so much Shannon for the guidance provided. The points you mentioned are really helpful.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 8, 2017

You're welcome! 

Take care and have a pleasant weekend. :) 

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Kimberly Higgins-Mormann November 3, 2022

If we set up separate user groups for Jira (50 users) and for Confluence (100 users) are we billed for the Jira licenses for the 50? or will it still be for all 100?

Suggest an answer