Separate rights for viewing projects

Bartek Oparski September 29, 2012

I have as Admin several projects in Jira. I want that only certain users (user/developers etc.) can view a specific project.

Example: I have ProjectA and ProjectB and user1, user2 and user3.

user1 and user2 should only see when they login into Jira the ProjectA, in best case they should not know/see that there is at all a ProjectB and of course have no rights to view or do anything in the ProjectB.

user3 (who could be also a developer but e.g. from another company) should after the login only see the ProjectB and he should not be able to view/edit anything in ProjectA.

How to setup correctly all the rights/groups/users?...

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2012

Start with https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

The basic idea is to work out a way to differentiate between your users and then set up permissions so that people who should see A and not B only have access to A.

One difficulty you'll find is that Atlassian defaults are unsuitable for this and a really bad place to start from. They create a group (jira users) which is used to say "can log in". That's fine, but then they set up the default permission scheme to use the same group. So everyone who can log in, can use the projects. In fact, that's not a bad model. Until a new Admin starts asking "how do I stop A seeing B" and then it's a really awful starting place. You'll need to strip the usage of jira-users out of your permission scheme(s) - either by creating new schemes that don't use it, or by removing it where it has been used.

A common recommendation - use jira-users for "can log in" and nothing else unless you really do want every user to be able to do it (e.g. browse list of users, see a common project for "jira support", etc)

Bartek Oparski October 14, 2012

thank you !

Suggest an answer