Separate Pending subtasks vs pending stories on Kanban board

awi November 19, 2020

I quite like the Kanban backlog... Ist configured so that "Pending" Dev, Bug, Tasks, Stories gets filtered to the backlog, OK, but so does Pending sub-tasks...

One workaround I see would be to rename the "Pending" status for sub-task to "to-do", but it's a big change, so a no-go. Any other idea?

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2020

are you just trying not to include the sub-tasks in the backlog? If so why not change the board filter. If you may want to see them at some point consider quick filter.

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2020

I obviously didn't have enough coffee this morning - that's probably what Anders is trying to do. An adjustment of the board's filter would be the simple solution. 😄

Like Jack Brickey likes this
awi November 19, 2020

@ Jack; this is what I try to achieve: Leave Pending Tasks/Stories on the backlog (by putting this Status in that "backlog" column in the Kanban board config), and showing pending sub-tasks with their (non-pending) parents on the Kanban board.

I tried with Quick filters, but didn't find a way to not make pending sub-tasks make visible pending Tasks/Stories. I'm sure there is a way though...

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2020

I'm sure i'm overlooking something.

It sounds like you want this:

hide sub-tasks in the backlog but display them once their parent moves into the kanban. For this I would use a QF in the backlog to hide them...

"Hide Sub-tasks" --> type != sub-task

if you happen to have some other statuses mapped to the backlog and you wish any sub-tasks in statuses other than Pending display then use this JQL for the QF ...

"Hide Pending Sub-tasks" --> type != sub-task AND status = pending

Like Dave Liao likes this
0 votes
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2020

AWI@esi-group.com - consider configuring a separate workflow for the sub-tasks issue type (example: To Do, In Progress, Done) to avoid this.

awi November 19, 2020

Right, that's my idea as well, but has implications "for all".

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2020

AWI@esi-group.com - sure, you would need to map any new statuses for that board to specific columns, and you would need to educate your teams (unless it's just you using the project).

If you configure your workflows to be something like:

Pending | To Do | In Progress | Done - for Stories

--------- | To Do | In Progress | Done - for Sub-Tasks

Stories would continue to appear in the Backlog view, and Sub-tasks would only appear in your Active/Kanban view.

What would your dream state look like?

Like awi likes this

Suggest an answer