Sending email to automatically created users

Santiago July 11, 2013

I need to setup a project that works this way

Email which is a mailing list

Lots of users (with a jira account and without one) send emails to that account

With an incoming email and mail handler setup I create issues from those emails.

In the mail handler i've setup that i want JIRA to create users automatically

Here is where the problems start

I had to give the group "jira-users" permissions to create issues. But this opens the project to every user in JIRA, have they created issues in there or not. This might not be such a problem.

The other issue that we are having is that. We want the members of the project to solve the issue created from the email and the Notification scheme to send an email to the reporter.

The only way to do this is giving permissions to BROWSE project to "reporter" or to "jira-users" group?

I dont want them to be able to see the project, i only want them to receive an email when the assignee solves the isue

I've been searching for a way to do this, even with plugins but i havent been able to

3 answers

0 votes
Santiago July 21, 2013

I still need help on this matter... nobody is able to give me a hand on it?

0 votes
Santiago July 11, 2013

Thanks Kiran for your quick answer

Regarding the solution for problem #1, I have some details that you should know.

1) besides the users created by the handler, we also create users ondemand for other projects. We are using LDAP for them. They would all enter the jira-users group

The problem is:

When a user that already has a JIRA user sends an email to that mail account, if i dont have "jira-users" group with create issue permission the handler doesnt work

From what i could understand from testing the handler, jira does this process.

1) checks if the person who sent the email has a jira account.

2) if he doesnt, the handler creates the account and the issue. If the user has a jira account a has create issue permission, the handler creates the issue. But if he doesnt have the permission it DOES NOTHING.

I hope you understand the issue there.

Regarding solution #2

As far as i could see, Adding "Reporter" to the notification scheme does nothing unless I add that person to the browse project permission.

0 votes
Kiran
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2013

Hi Santiago,

Looks like you have 2 problems as below:

1. All new users are added to the jira-users group.

2. You do not want to expose your project to everyone in jira-users.

Solution for problem #1:

1. Create a new group for general user (those who are created by the mail handler).

2. Go to Global Permissions page (/secure/admin/GlobalPermissions!default.jspa).

3. Delete the "JIRA Users" global permission.

4. On the same page, under Add Permission section, add the JIRA User permission to the above newly created group.

Now all new users created will be auto added to your newly created group.

Solution for problem #2:

1. Go to the permission scheme of your project and remove the newly created group from the "Browse project" permission.

Now the user would be able to create issue but not explore the project.

2. Go the Notification Scheme of your project and add "Reporter" to the issue resolved event.

Now the reported will get notified when your internal user has resolved that issue.

Regards,

Kiran H S

Santiago July 15, 2013

I still need help on this issue... not sure if you got a notification about my latest comment...

Thanks

Suggest an answer