Sending an email to an external address, only when all issues with a certain tag have been completed

Chris Peterson November 16, 2017

This is more of a question than an issue at the moment.

We have a Change Request project, CCB, which we use for normal CCBs, as well as Maintenance Weekend CCBs. We have Quick Filters setup on the CCB Board that allow users to only show specific Maintenance Weekend issues, and the board has columns for each status of the process.

I've got a request for sending a notification of some type, preferably email, whenever certain CCBs have all completed. These CCBs would be related via Labels (we could change this to a different field if it'd make it easier). The notification would be sent to an external email address (Not a Jira user).

From what I can think of, I know no way of limiting an email notification being sent based on the status of multiple issues, and can only think of sending those on a per issue basis, but that wouldn't work, as we only want the notification to send when everything is marked Complete, as to not cause confusion for the external listener.

Is there any way you can think of something I might be missing? I've been browsing the forums but haven't been able to find anything yet. We seem even more limited due to being in the Cloud. Any help would be appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2017

There are a couple of hurdles I can see in regards to making this work in Jira.   First off, Jira typically won't let you just send notifications to any email address you want.  In most cases it has to be the address of a Jira user.   While the notification schemes in Jira will let you enter an explicit (possibly external) email address there, this will only work if the issue that is being notified on is in a publicly visible project in Jira.   In most cases, the project permissions are not set to allow even unauthenticated users to browse the project.  

I thought about whether or not your could use a subscription in Jira in order to do this, but that has two major problems itself.  One is that search results subscriptions can't be sent to external users, they have to be Jira users.  The other is that I can't seem to determine a way to write a JQL search filter that would only send when all of these issues meet your criteria. 

Perhaps some of the existing notification plugins for Jira Cloud might be able to help here.  I know that most of these can overcome the external user problem,  such as:

but it isn't clear to me yet if either of these offer any more granular functionality in regards to only sending a single notification when a series of conditions are met in the way you describe.

In searching for more plugins I came across this one, Jirassimo Emails Reminders Notifications.  While I have not personally used it, the more details of that description do seem to indicate that you might be able to use some scripting in conjunction with their plugin to perform the kind of notification that I think you are looking for here.

Suggest an answer