Sending an e-mail from jira to a non jira user.

Ruud Evers June 7, 2012

Hi Guys,

I hope you can help me on this one.

For the company that i'm working fore we are in need of a good ticketing system. We use several systems to answer mails to the customers, but get lost in emails because everyone is working in the same mailbox, so it could happen that several people are working on the same customer questions.

Furthermore in order to answer a mail correctly sometimes we need some information from sales, inventory etc...etc... Therefore I would like to use jira so that we have 1 system everyone uses. I worked with jira in the past as an end user and I love it.

I start with the configuration today and until now everything works perfect. An email is automatically imported in jira, a ticket will be created and assigned. We are able to comment on the tickets and assign them to the correct persons from where we need some information.

The only thing that does not work, is to send an email to the customer directly from jira itself. The customer does see that the ticket is assigned to a jira user, but i cannot mail the customer directly from the jira system itself and inform them about the status.

Could you tell me if I did miss something or that this feature is just not available in Jira.

Kind regards,

Ruud Evers.

3 answers

1 vote
Verhás István
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2012

Hi Ruud,

If the built in feature of Jira5 https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Emailing+an+Issue is not enough let see the JETI https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JETI/JIRA+Email+This+Issue+Plugin. It provides workflow post function also that will be in the activity stream and allows you to select from the attachments.

0 votes
Ruud Evers June 7, 2012

Thanks for the information. The only thing is that the function does not have all the desired options.

When we answer to the client, the email we send should be visible in the activity stream and we should have the ability to send an attachement that is automaticly attached to the ticket as well.

When i'm able to solve the above 2 issues than the system would be perfect.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2012

If you do not mention your requirements in the original post, there is no way for people to guess what you need.

One of Jira's features is an extensible plugin environment. So you can either write your own plugin or maybe use Jamie Echlin's script runner to get the few missing features you need. Yes, it requires some minimal work on your part, but it can be done.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2012

Coming in JEMH 1.3 in the next month or so will be the ability to finally automatically include attachments in notifications to non-JIRA uers

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2012

Suggest an answer