Sender email address of automatic mails are on my name?!

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2014

Hello,

I am still configuring the last bits of our new JIRA.
From one day to another my name ends up as the senders emailadress when recieving emails from JIRA. It still has the same emailaddress and it has "(JIRA)" too, but my name is in front of that.

Where can I fix this?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2014

Hi Vera,

This is probably happening because your e-mail account is configured in JIRA's Outgoing Mail (Administration > System > Outgoing Mail)

You can change the account there and then mails will not be sent on your name. :)

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2014

If only it was thats imple... nope that's not it!

But maybe I have clue for it.... Before _this_ occured, JIRA send it with the right name, the name of the mailbox you send to (in this case "jira").
Now, it uses every name from the person who made changes to an issue. (assignee, comments etc).

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2014

What you are seeing is that the personal part of email addresses are by default the 'action' users personal name, the person 'causing' the email. Overriding this behaviour is not possible with the standard email generaing features of JIRA.

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2014

So sender has to be jira [jira@mycompany.nl] as it was before instead of Vera Valkestijn (JIRA) [jira@mycompany.nl] or an other person who made changes of any kind to the issue.

0 votes
Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2014

Andy,

You are right, I see now that indeed the name is used for it.

In our old version of Jira (3.?) it always was like I described, so no name, just jira. Too bad it can't be overrided in 6.2. Thank you for your answer.

Suggest an answer