Send notification to manager when closing an issue

Blommetje January 2, 2014

HI,

I have Jira onDemand. I have several Departments. All departments are a Project in Jira. All employees creates issue via email handler.

When an issue is closed by the IT team I want to send a notification to the manager of the appropiate department. These managers are NOT project leads and in general not using Jira for monitoring or anything. It just needs to be a notification.

Is this possible?

- Where do I set the correct manager per Department? As a new Role perhaps?

- Should it then be triggered by a Custom Event in the flow?

Thank you so much!

Blommetje

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2014

Are you running it through the test? If so check that you haven't disabled notifications to yourself in your profile. I set that up as the default on new installs as most people don't want notifications for actions they take

It has to be something in the custom flow. I Made a new project, copied the email settings and used the default jira flow. Then it works. So the flow is just the issue.

Problem is, I don't know where to look. The Notification Helper says it works. It works on another project, so it's not turned off by default. I also set an event for emailing a single emailaddress when the issue is closed (to my old email hotmail for testing) which also does not work.

My shot is, the email must be triggered when the issue is closed (as the notification helper checks) but it never closes! In my flow it says:

- step name: Closed

- linked status: Closed

There are not Operations on it.

Any ideas?

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2014

First look into the postfunctions of this closed step. See which event is triggered.

Then look into your notification scheme. Does the "Manager Role" gets notified by this event?

Got it working. I removed the step 'Closed' (which I think I added myself) and set the Default Jira 'Closed'. Published this new flow and BAM! All works like a charm.

Now I will copy this flow and rename it per Department, add the corresponding managers and set them in the roles. Should be good!

Thank you so much!

Blommetje January 5, 2014

Ai, I was too quick with thinking I had it working. Well, it does work, but I forgot 1 important part.

I'll try to explain. I have several divisions on my website (IT, TV, .) Withing these divisions there are subcategories. For IT that is for example, Printer, Laptop, Notebook, Monitor, SSD, HDD. All these subcategories have their own manager.

When an issue is created, the Division is set by Project. The component is used for the subcategory.

Is it possible to send to a user (group) a notification based on Component?

Thanks!

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2014

You could send a notification to the component lead.

Blommetje January 6, 2014

Hi Udo,

One more question.. I have a custom Flow build from scratch. Int his flow I have a status like 'In Archive'. Why does this step net appear in the 'Events' list in the Notification Scheme?

For every step in the Flow I want to send a group or Component Lead an email. But a lot of steps do show in the list. Why is this and can it be fixed?

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2014

Well, you won't see steps in the notification scheme but events triggered in those transitions.

You need to look at the post function in those transitions. I bet you will see there a generic event triggered. You can raise any other event there instead, even own defined events. Adjust your notification scheme according to the events triggered in your post functions

1 vote
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2014

Yes, I would use a role and set only the department manager in each project to this role.

As for the notification, you need only to add this role in your notification scheme for the closed issue event (if this event is triggered in your closed transition).

Hi,

thanks for the help! I've set this up and the Jira Notification Helper says it works, but i do not receive any mails. I think the issue is because I have a custom Workflow. Is there any more debugging I can do? I'm puzzled why I don't receive the emails..

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2014

Which event is triggered in you custom workflow closed transition?

Suggest an answer