Send notification mail to the person who created the issue

DeepakBhatia November 25, 2012

Hi,

I am facing one issue is that notification doesn't goto the person who created the issue in which user is neither assignee/reporter/other roles.

How can mail for created issue goto the person who created the issue in JIRA ?

Thanks

Deepak Bhatia

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2012

They probably don't have "email me on my changes" set in their profile. Check that first.

DeepakBhatia November 25, 2012

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your response. I have set the "Notify Me" flag on. So when I create an issue in which I am not assignee/reporter then I don't receive an email though as you told Notify means, person who created the issue should get the email.

Please let know if my understanding is correct.

Regards

Deepak

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2012

Ah, sorry, I missed that bit. If you're not the reporter or the assignee, then no, you won't get any email because you're not named in the notification scheme. You need to get yourself identified as someone who has an interest in the issue being created.

Read your scheme to identify a way to do it - "watchers" is probably the best way to do it.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2012

An old question, thought of answering it though:

(if you are okay with workflows)

Try it out, I have not tried it myself.

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 25, 2012

Hi Deepak,

This is probably because users are having "Own Changes" option set to "Do notify me".. so if for example current user is a Reporter and he is creating an issue he will not recive any notification.

If you want to always send a notification to the person who created the ticket then you can modify your workflow and use Jelly Scripts. You can do below steps:

1. Add a new status to your workflow called for example "New".

2. Add a new transition from New to Open (e.g Open Issue) that will be only visible to Administrators and user that will automaticly execute transitions.

3. Create a automatic transition that will be used when new issues are created. (e.g after 5 minutes) based on this documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRACOM/Automating+issue+timeouts

After that when user will create a ticket/issue then after 5 minutes it will be moved from New to Open and comment will be added. Becouse this is not own change then user will recive the notification. The message in the comment could be of course as you want.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mirek

0 votes
Yilin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 25, 2012

It is currently not possible unless the user set to autowatch the ticket, but in this case, the user will be automatically become the watcher of the ticket. Not sure this will fit your need. :)

Suggest an answer