Send .msg emails from JIRA

solncevavv May 22, 2018

Hello! We need to send emails from JIRA issues everyday at the same time. Emails attached to JIRA issues in .msg format. Is it possible? Or only .eml emails are possible? How can we send theese emails not as an attachments, but as a full-fledged emails?

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2018

.msg and .eml are not emails in themselves, they're packaged file that your email server and client use to export email with its meta-data to a format that can be read by other systems. 

Jira sends email, not .eml or .msg files.  If you're seeing the emails from Jira as attached files, then your email server or client is converting them to exported files for some reason.  If you can stop them from doing that, then you'll find emails arrive properly.

solncevavv May 23, 2018

Oh, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-, thanks a lot!! I really don't understand how does it works. So, we'll read this attachment in plugin and then send email from plugin

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2018

I think you've misunderstood.

Jira is already sending emails

The problem is with your mail server that is converting them to files unnecessarily.  You need to find that process and stop it from doing it.

solncevavv May 23, 2018

Our users want to see some msg-files in issues as attachments, then if it is necessary change them, and then if issues are in some statuses send them by schedule.

So we need to make .msg files, then read them and then send emails.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2018

I am confused now.

You started out asking about Jira sending out emails that are ".msg".  This is not something Jira does, it sends emails, not exported versions of them.

Now you are talking about .msg as attachments in Jira.  This is a totally different thing.  I assume you mean incoming emails?  Jira processes email as email and translates it into comments, new issues, or new requests depending on the comments.  Adding .msg files would be a poor substitute, and you would need to get your incoming email server to translate the emails from email to .msg, then attach them to new emails to be sent on to Jira.

solncevavv May 24, 2018

We use jira in unconventional way. Our plugin automatically create issues with some .msg files, then responsible user checks theese .msg. After that plugin send theese .msg not as attachments but as email itself. So the question is should we parse .msg files in plugin and send it by jira or we can add theese .msg-files to jira mail queue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2018

It would have helped if you had told us you had a plugin that was deliberately mangling the outgoing emails into a file format, making them useless as emails.

I do not understand why you are doing this.  If you don't do it, and use email as intended, you won't need to do any translations or parsing.  It sounds like you are encoding stuff pointlessly, and then running into problems because you then additionally need to unenecode it again later.  If you stopped encoding, you wouldn;;t have any problems.

Could you explain why this is of any use to you?

solncevavv May 24, 2018

We need do this, because our main users want to check outgoing messages, and if they think that messages are not correct they change them, and jira will send correct message.

Don't ask me why such architecture we use.. It is not my decision. I understand that jira isn't the most suitable tool. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2018

I don't see how exporting an email to a file helps anyone "check outgoing messages".   I would also question what they are "checking" and why?

If they want Jira to send the "correct" message, then don't mess with the email, just put the right data into Jira so you know it will send the right thing.

This really does sound like a complete waste of your time, and your users, with a fix that should be applied earlier in the process.  But if you must persueit, then you are going to need a LOT more code, including hacking the core of Jira's mail services, not just add-ons.  

To me, it sounds a lot cheaper, faster and easier to fix the problem at source.  It's the sort of situation where I'd be telling the users "It will cost 3 days work to analyse the problem properly and maybe another 3-5 to fix it, or 3 months to bodge something into Jira"

solncevavv May 24, 2018

Sorry for my bad english.. I'll try to explain.

We have project with issues. In theese issues we have pdf-attachments.

we have some filters that contains issues. we need to send emails with filter contents to different respondents. But one filter should send different emails to different person. 

one filter contains issues that have same stages ane etc. We have field like "Responsible person" and we should send email to responsible person with issues from this filter where field "Responsible person" contains this responsible person.

Users wants to check that emails contain right respondents with right content and right pdf-attachments. And they want to have something like log of sending emails. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2018

Exporting emails into a file based format does nothing to help you with this, and just makes your emails harder to use.

The checking your users are asking for is a symptom of a broken process and a system set up to support something that's a waste of everyone's time.  You should be looking to configure your system so that the users do not feel any need to do this checking.

solncevavv May 28, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-, thanks! We'll think about it and try to explain to our users

0 votes
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2018

HI @solncevavv,

I think this can be achieved by Filter subscription.

Please find more information for the same here.

solncevavv May 22, 2018

Thnanks, @Yogesh Mude! But I steel have a question: can we send attached .msg-file as email from JIRA?

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2018

See it will run a search according to schedule and then it will send an email with issue filter.

I don't think so it will be possible using filter subscription.

solncevavv May 23, 2018

Thanks a lot!

Suggest an answer